Re-building a Compaq Presario SR1619UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm new to the building from scratch a computer, but am looking to upgrade my computer that I have, or build a new one from scratch. I can do the building bit myself, but I'm not so hot on working out what is compatible with what as far as motherboards, processors, graphics cards etc are concerned.

The basics of my computer are as follows:
Athlon 64 (V) 3200 + 2.0 Ghz
ATI Radeon Xpress 200
MSI MS-7184 Motherboard
Memory Installed: 512MB
Hard Drive: 160GB
7200rpm
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL Drive
PCI K56flex data/fax modem
More information on the website (I can't post links yet as I don't have enough posts)

I have upgraded the original DVD-RW drive, but intend to upgrade that to a BD-RW drive with this upgrade, I use 1x PCI for a Netgear WPN311 wireless card, and have a 400GB hard drive instead of the original 160GB, and have upgraded the RAM to 3GB using 2x512MB and 2x1GB modules bought from Crucial.

I'm looking to move to Intel processor, quad core preferably, and with a BD-RW drive, looking for the computer to handle HD comfortably, generally run smoothly and quietly.

I've been looking at overclockers.co.uk as it has been recommended by a friend, but any help on what I can get that isn't going to break the bank, budgeting to around £300 at the moment, MAX, I want excellent value for money, but I can't afford top notch at this present moment.

Thanks in advance, if I haven't provided enough detail, just ask and I can find out the answer!

Your idea of using different modules for your RAM is not a very good one. Is your RAM DDR2? If so, what speed is it? However, from what I gather you need a processor, motherboard and a blue ray DVD drive, all for £300. Is that correct?

You will not manage to fit in an Intel quad core in that budget after buying a blue ray burner which costs about half your total budget.

In that case these are the best choices (assuming you are using DDR2 memory) :

LG 8x Int Blu-Ray Disk Rewriter - £132.89
AMD Phenom II X3 720 - £89.99
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P - £78.61

Ah, no, sorry, the blu-ray drive would be an 'extra' for me I think, but what you have given me to look at there looks great...
Any change you could recommend a graphics card that's compatible that would give an HDMI output as well as VGA?
I'll get new RAM for this from Crucial... and this would work with 64bit Windows?

Give me your total budget including CPU / mobo / RAM / GPU. Then I'll be able to suggest more. If you go with the Core i5 you will need DDR3 memory (which is slightly expensive). However, if you go with what i recommended earlier, you could spend more on a graphics card.

I hadn't though about Ram, I'd say a budget of £400 for all of that... A CPU / mobo inbetween what you've suggestted so far... and GPU and RAM to match... thanks dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back