Real-time Disk I/O?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCSUFrenchie

Since I have been a very frequent user of the Task Manager, I have found one big shortcoming (which the geniuses at Microsoft have fixed for Vista): I can't see which processes are accessing my drives (HDD, floppy, USB... any will do).

I can see my HDD light just blinking away furiously, but that doesn't tell me squat about whether its Windows writing to the page file, or if its a realtime virus scan program. Either way, there seems to be a direct correlation between something accessing the HDD and system sluggishness.

Does anyone know if there is a program out there that will allow you to see each individual processes' disk I/O? In realtime if possible.

Thanks in advance y'all,

Ian

Such a program cannot exist really, because processes don't access the disk directly. The system cache sits between the programs and the disk. And when the VM engine does something to a disk block, there is really no way to tell which process this request is serving. There is no way to get accurate readings.

You can still get a general idea of disk usage by using a file monitor utility. Filemon from sysinternals shows you every file operation in your system in real time. Of course, it is virtually impossible to keep track of things in a multitasking situation unless you filter out only certain events.

You can add columns "I/O Read Bytes", "I/O Write Bytes" and "I/O Other Bytes" to Task Manager's Processes view. Add a PID (Process ID) too and you can see which service it is if it's one of those svchost.exes (Vista's Task Manager has a Services tab).

I guess it's disk defragmenter, Windows Defender or Windows Search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back