Reality Distortion Field: 10 Things Apple Won't Directly Say But We'll Infer About the...

look into the iPhone 6S at $450 as their best value bet

That's why 6 month ago when I had a chance to get either iPhone 7 or 6S for about the same money, I went for 6S, after spending an hour thinking it over in a shop, playing with both.

The physical button in my opinion is much more pleasant to use than the taptic one, as it provides a natural feedback. And the phone jack is indispensable. Those were the two reasons I went for the older model.

Looks like nothing changed there with iPhone 8, sadly. iPhone 6S is the last usable phone from Apple.

Last edited:
When the build costs for most of these things (apple, samsung, LG, et al) is typically in the 200-300 dollar range, but are "commanding" $1000.00? Can't blame manufacturers...if people are crazy enough to pay it, then they'll continue to raise the price.

Personally, I have a hard time forking over $400 for a smartphone. I NEVER buy the newest device. For one, you typically have to put up with the early build bugs, both in hardware and software. I find the best value, is to wait until a new model is released, then pick up LAST years "next best thing". They are at the end of production, typically have the bugs squashed, latest firmware. Yeah, the android line due to many variables, is SLOW to update, but, my experience with android, going back to cupcake, is that pretty much from Jellybean 4.3, I really haven't had that many issues. My phone at the time, skipped 4.4 kitkat and I skipped "developer" versions of it because it had bugs. A phone for me, is pretty much an 8-5 tool for me to do my job. After work, unless someone calls me, I typically don't touch it. Other than security patches, the version of software isn't really a big deal to me. I think most of it is marketing, and the desire to have the "latest & greatest".

I recently upgraded to a Huawei Mate 9, which when announced, was around 900 dollars. Best Buy had them at $449. So a couple months ago, it was 900 dollars and now almost 1/2 of the price. Why? Because they have a new model coming and want to clear the inventory.
Hey, it's your money...but I'd prefer to have extra money in the bank, than "bling".

I just got my iPhone 7 Plus 128GB for about U$350 (11 months contract) mostly because I needed the battery life and there lacked options at good price, I'm one of those that use my smartphone as a tool to communicate and work.

That iPhone X just seems bizarre, if they added oled screens to the iPhone 8 and improved the battery capacity I bet they would be pleasing a lot of people. I just love TouchID, it works flawlessly, all this facial thing seems gimmick to me.

So far it's doing it's job pretty well, IOS is strange to me but I'm finding my way around it.

My S7 Edge returned to Samsung a second time due battery issues, it would randomly shut down, it's already back in my hands but with gaps around the bezel that were not there. The first time it kept saying the charge was too slow and would eventually drop to 0.

So where I live it's hard to ask for a replacement after 7 days but they have to give me full support during a year.

And I have to manually flash another rom with security patches because it never finds OTA updates. As far as I can remember it was stuck in May 2016 security patch.

On the other hand my Nokia 930 still receives updates from Microsoft, just went from a build beginning with 16xx to 17xx. It was released in 2014!

I just got my iPhone 7 Plus 128GB for about U$350 (11 months contract) mostly because I needed the battery life and there lacked options at good price, I'm one of those that use my smartphone as a tool to communicate and work.

That iPhone X just seems bizarre, if they added oled screens to the iPhone 8 and improved the battery capacity I bet they would be pleasing a lot of people. I just love TouchID, it works flawlessly, all this facial thing seems gimmick to me.

So far it's doing it's job pretty well, IOS is strange to me but I'm finding my way around it.

My S7 Edge returned to Samsung a second time due battery issues, it would randomly shut down, it's already back in my hands but with gaps around the bezel that were not there. The first time it kept saying the charge was too slow and would eventually drop to 0.

So where I live it's hard to ask for a replacement after 7 days but they have to give me full support during a year.

And I have to manually flash another rom with security patches because it never finds OTA updates. As far as I can remember it was stuck in May 2016 security patch.

On the other hand my Nokia 930 still receives updates from Microsoft, just went from a build beginning with 16xx to 17xx. It was released in 2014!
if you needed battery life then there are plenty of Android phones with over 4000 mAh that you can get with much better prices without needing a contract.

And just think, the profit margin is insane, as in many cases, Apple uses unpaid slave labor in China.

I know its a different architecture made a run the iOS, but I would love to see the A11 hardware in this phone run the Android OS with performance comparisons.

Can I have the time I spent glancing over this article back? I feel like I lost some brain cells too, is there a form I can fill out for that while I'm at it?

Back