Do you believe that reality is subjective?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
  2. No

4 vote(s)
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
  4. Don't know/Decline to answer

3 vote(s)
By greatman05
Jun 27, 2007
Post New Reply
  1. Do you believe reality is subjective? I do. This is mainly because a person's life experiences do relate to the way they perceive things, or in other words, their reality. For example, Person A may believe that money is hard to get and that they'll never get out of debt, and while Person B has the same problem, his view is that he will get out of debt, even though it may take a while. Same problem, but different reality on things.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Do you really believe anybody knows what "subjective" means?
  3. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 429

subjective (comparative more subjective, superlative most subjective)

more subjective

most subjective

1. Pertaining to subjects as opposed to objects (A subject is one who perceives or is aware; an object is the thing perceived or the thing that the subject is aware of.)
    2. Formed, as in opinions, based upon subjective feelings or intuition, not upon observation or reasoning, which can be influenced by preconception; coming more from within the observer rather than from observations of the external environment.
    3. Resulting from or pertaining to personal mindsets or experience, arising from perceptive mental conditions within the brain and not necessarily from external stimuli.
    4. Lacking in reality or substance.
    5. As used by Carl Jung the innate worldview orientation of the introverted personality types.

*Wiktionary Definition
  4. raybay

But with no sense of humor.
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

So actually, you are asking whether there is absolute truth or not. Mostly there isn't. Only some scientists have the pleasure of working with absolutes.
  6. greatman05

Yes...EXACTLY!!! Any other thoughts?
  7. Stacey

Stacey TS Rookie Posts: 146

The life experiences that one has had set the mind for how things are percieved, in each person. Since all people experience things differently life and reality are purely subject, in my mind.
  8. raybay

Well, deep, anyways.
  9. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

'Reality' is only subjective until one actually acknowledges reality, then reality is real and ceases to be subjective but becomes, in fact, reality.

Under similar circumstances, people will react differently depending upon the level of real versus subjective experience they have in that particular circumstance.

Where individuals fall outside of that premise, they are usually hopelessly entrenched in onanistic self absorption.

(isn't playing with words fun?)

10. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 1,971   +10

Reality and perception are two quite different things.
  11. raybay

Not really. Not the way I perceive them.
  12. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

In reality, I would perceive it to be true.
  13. raybay

Boy, not me. Not really.
  14. greatman05

Wow....word-play IS confusing...
  15. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 1,971   +10

I'm not surprised.

Quit worrying. It's not worth it.
  16. IBN

IBN TS Maniac Posts: 487

Could you re-word that? It doesn't make sense. Can you define what you mean by reality.

Peoples differing nature/attitudes make dealing with situations easy/difficult.