Really hot GPU

andy06shake

Just build my new rig, now my GFX card is running a little hot, idles at 60c-62c and under load(Darksiders at 1920-1050 with all the bells n whistles) 70c-95c! My system/gfx card is dust free and i have just redone the thermal paste(Artic Silver). I know the thermal limit for these cards is around 97c but are these temps exceptable for my card(EVGA GTX570 Superclocked). My fan speed is set to 100%. Anybody any ideas?

Hi Andy,
What was it running temp wise before you moved it to the new build/case?

Those temps are way too hot for that card.
I've used both versions of the EVGA 570SC (reference blower fan and HD version with larger centrally mounted fan) 70-85°C with the fan at "acceptable" levels (60-70% max) is the usual range for heavy gaming/loops of Heaven bench/Furmark/Afterburner.

So, I'd have to say that either:
The chassis cooling is bad, or counterproductive ( airflow streams working against each other)...
Or the card is working at above stock voltage, further overclocked, has an incorrectly seated cooler plate, or damaged vapor chamber.

I presume you have checked the fan rotation speed in GPU-Z or EVGA Precision

Hi red1776, the card didn't go above 88c before i changed the mobo & cpu. I did lose my side 120mm fan (As u told me i would) to accomodate the large Vennom cooler. However without the side 120mm cooler the card idles at 62c, 3c cooler than when i had the side fan mounted.

well assuming proper thermal compound application and the card not being mishandled, dropped, or damaged in the move,( like Chef said above,) have you noticed that your fan speed/profiles have changed post move?

I would carefully consider the items DBZ listed, I happen to know he has extensive experience with this card.

Fan speed is reported at 6120rpm in both my GeForce sidebar and in GPU-Z, I havent dropped it, and have not incorrectly seated the cooler plate, or damaged vapor chamber. I managed to fit the CPU cooler ok so im assuming i have also reseated the GPU just fine. My Antec pulls from the 2 frount monted 120mm fans, pushes from the rear 120mm and top 240mm. How can i tell if the Vapor chamber is damaged? Also the card is clocked but only in the sence that it came that way from EVGA.

I reinstalled Windows Ultimate 64 and installed the supplied motherboard software from ASUS after i done my new build. Im using Core Temp(latest) also Realtemp. Same as in the last build i had.

I have also updated the GFX card bios to allow the full 100% fan speed, but that was done months ago. could that somehow be an issue?

I have also updated the GFX card bios to allow the full 100% fan speed, but that was done months ago. could that somehow be an issue?

A bios flash is either successful or not. If you have the same fan speeds/profiles it's not that. I am trying to figure out if this is a legitimate increase in temp, or a difference in reading. I don't suppose you can tell if it's just plain warmer to the touch can you? Also, check your core voltage to make sure it is where it was before you moved it.

The card dosent seem any different than before, i mean it does get hot underload but to the touch it seem just like before. I havent once experienced any antifacts, black screens or a bsod. Its just that when i see the temps going in to the 90s i think wtf it might melt on to the mobo!

How can i tell if the Vapor chamber is damaged?
You most likely wouldn't.
The vapor chamber is sealed, and works because the internal pressure is much lower than ambient - lower air pressure means liquid (vapor) boils or evaporates at a lower tempreture, thus drawing heat from the GPU heatspreader to the cooling fins.
A breach in the vapor chamber (usually an edge or seam) allows the pressure inside the chamber to equalize with the outside air pressure- this of course increases evaporator, vapor transport and condensation resistances- and thus renders the vapor chamber system fairly useless (i.e. it becomes a standard heatsink).

Since the vapor chamber is composed of very ductile metals (namely copper and aluminium in most cases), and torquing/twisting, compression and impact has the potential to breach the vapor block. So, if the heatsink has been dropped, roughly handled or twisted then this could be the cause of the problem.

Thats just the thing its not been dropped. Also if the vapor chamber had some how been breached wouldent the internal liquid/vapor have leaked inside my system and fried the lot? Im thinking of returning the card to EVGA, only thing is the little sticker has come of the top of the pcb(I still have it though) and is says if removed warrenty is invalidated. I did not remove it it came of all by its self. Think EVGA will understand?

Thats just the thing its not been dropped. Also if the vapor chamber had some how been breached wouldent the internal liquid/vapor have leaked inside my system and fried the lot? Im thinking of returning the card to EVGA, only thing is the little sticker has come of the top of the pcb(I still have it though) and is says if removed warrenty is invalidated. I did not remove it it came of all by its self. Think EVGA will understand?

If the vapor chamber leaked, the odds are it would have been slow and evaporated and not shorted anything. Vapor chamber failuer is rare, but is usually from a weak spot (pinhole) along a seam from manufacturing that the gas escapes from

It has been my experience that most companies are very good about these things...(put the sticker back on!) :p :)

The vapor chamber isn't full of liquid.

The stickers on the pcb sometimes detach by themselves fairly quickly of their own accord- usually from heat generation. Box up the card with the sticker and send it off (after applying for RMA). EVGA don't as a rule invalidate warranty for upgrading the stock cooling solution -every EVGA card I've fitted with a Swiftech/Koolance/DD/EK waterblock is still covered by warranty...1-2 years usually for an SKU that ends in -TR, 3-10 years for -AR (I don't think the lifetime warranty is applicable in the EU)

The card came with a 10 year warranty, think thats what ile do RMA the sucker back. I can live with my old GTX275 for a few weeks. Thanks

The vapor chamber isn't full of liquid.

I have not cut into one. but it is my understanding that the working fluid is pure water moving from a vaporized to condensed state and back. between the trans wick and the vapor wick So at various stages there would be liquid in it...no?

I havent been inside one either, i thought the liquid what ever it is, heated up and became vapor, so if it did in some way breach then would it not short out any electronics it came into contact with ie my mobo?

I havent been inside one either, i thought the liquid what ever it is, heated up and became vapor, so if it did in some way breach then would it not short out any electronics it came into contact with ie my mobo?

There is a working fluid (pure water) as I understand it, and not a lot volume wise. It vaporizes, collects heat, releases heat and condenses to start the process over again. I think at operating temperature you would get a release of vapor/gas. At least everything I have read on the subject suggests this.

I have not cut into one. but it is my understanding that the working fluid is pure water moving from a vaporized to condensed state and back. between the trans wick and the vapor wick So at various stages there would be liquid in it...no?
Yes. More like a (very) little moisture, assuming the GTX series vapor chamber is similar in design to the AMD version. I haven't cut one open either, although I did smash one (that was attached to a 4870) with a 4lb baby sledge in a fit of annoyance some time ago. Most of the water sits inside the wicks as far as I could tell.

although I did smash one (that was attached to a 4870) with a 4lb baby sledge in a fit of annoyance some time ago

:haha:
now see if I did that...karma would get me. A pine round would then fall on my foot ....or something.

Just as well the card wasn't a 4870 X2 then!

If that's the case I wonder what fate has in store for Kyle Bennett.

+1 :haha:

I think karma may be stacked against him anyway.

I am sure that his review will conclude that since the bullet went all the way through the seagate drive....that the platter density is not very good
**** now come join our latest event sponsored by Samsung!****
:rolleyes:

What's the weather been like down south? It's been very humid and unusually high 17-20C where I am, which of course increases ambient temperatures which will cause your system temps to creep upward. Just a thought :)

Back