Really need help with weird problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayus

Hi,

The problem: weird jerkiness/skipping while moving/looking around, and the screen looking like it has a very low refresh rate in, when it doesn't. This happens the worst when played with crossfire, and still happens, when played with C/F disabled.

This problem is the worst when i play farcry 2 (single player) and happens to a lesser degree in other games like left 4 dead 2.

Now the weird thing about this problem is that it has only just started to occur recently. All my games, including farcry 2 used to played silky smooth, with zero jerkiness / skipping. I played farcry 2 for 6 months with no problems at all, on 1400x1050, 8x AA, dx9, v-sync off, details all maxed out, cat's 9.11, and i used to get a constant 130FPS when played on crossfire, and it was great, loved every minute. But now the only way i can play farcry 2 is with the settings set to 800x600, details set to low on everything, dx9, v-sync off, with C/F disabled. But even at these really low settings, the game still plays as if it has a 20Hrz refresh, when in actual fact the refresh rate is at 60Hrz, and there is still a little bit of skipping.

I am really struggling to work out why the game has suddenly started doing this.
Obviously the first thing i thought was that something must have changed with the system, in order to effect farcry 2 in this way. The only thing that has happed recently that might have effected farcry 2, was the fact that i updated Direct X 9.0c (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en)

My usual approach to updating is that i try to avoid doing so. If all my games are playing well, i generally will not update my catalyst drivers or direct x. I have found that this approach has always worked for me, if it ain't broke, don't update it :)
So why did i update direct x then you ask ? I updated it in an effort to try and fix stuttering issues in another game (left 4 dead 2) It didn't work, but after the update is when farcry 2 started exhibiting jerkiness. The question is, can a direct x update really brake a game ? So then i rolled back the dx9 update with system restore, but it had no effect, seems as if farcry 2 has been permanently borken... :( and no combination of in-game setting makes any difference.

Farcry 2 is a really fun game. I would really appreciate any input on helping to fix / determine why it's has become unplayable.

P.S. -
* Farcry 2 Version = 1.03

* The jerkiness in left 4 dead 2 (that i was trying to fix with the dx9 update), is also a recent development, i played L4D2 for about 3-4 months prior with no problems at all. - The jerkiness in L4D2 only started to happed after i installed crysis & crysis warhead about 2 and a half weeks ago.

* The reason i never played farcry 2 in DX10 was because farcry 2 has a DX10 memory leak (Officially confirmed) that doesn't effect everyone, but it did effect me, so i switched to using dx9 when i first installed the game.

Thank you.

Some part of your system is getting old, and could use a refresh... video graphics card, hard drive ? Memory? Dust, dirt, lint in fans or cooling components.
Heat issue.
Hard to say when you have not described your computer, configuration, or age of equipment.

Hi Dayus,
your correct, there is something weird about this. Are you speaking about the system listed in your specs section? Graphic drivers are not like updating the BIOS, especially with the new cards you have, and even more urgent when you are using crossfire. install the latest CCC drivers (10.6) and make sure you also install the crossfire profiles with it.
would you also link me to the story about a 'Far Cry DX 10 memory link' please. with 2x 5870 CF config, playing in DX9 seems a bit silly...and look what your missing :) this is Far Cry 2 on my rig DX 10.1 maxed out

Attachments

• farcry2DY.jpg
    farcry2DY.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 8
Some part of your system is getting old, and could use a refresh...

The system is only 6 months old. I bought it in January 2010.

Dust, dirt, lint in fans or cooling components.
Heat issue.

I thought something similar, that is way 2 days ago i opened up the case and inspected everything inside. Couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I also removed all the fan fillters and gave them a good clean, and also there is tidy cable management inside, so airflow is not being impeded.

As far as heat issues go, i have fan profiles for most of my games, farcry 2 fan profile is 80%(Master) / 70%(Slave) for C/F and 90% for single card use. The max temps i've seen are 55c/59c, but i don't know if that is too hot or just normal. (BTW, the max temps i refer to are from the good old days, when i used to play FC2 max out, on the horrible new low settings, it only gets up to about 45c/46c

Hard to say when you have not described your computer, configuration, or age of equipment.

My system specification is the one in the system specs clicky at the top right corner of the post.

Graphic drivers are not like updating the BIOS, especially with the new cards you have, and even more urgent when you are using crossfire. install the latest CCC drivers (10.6) and make sure you also install the crossfire profiles with it.

I almost did, but the dx9 update thing kinda put me off. I'm not really much of a tech guru, so forgive me if this ends up being the n00b quote of the day :) But as far as i understand, if farcry 2 worked for 6 months using cat 9.11, how could this new issue be driver related ?- another reason i'm reluctant to update the cat's is because i'm concerned that it might brake my other games, as i have read a few posts about people having performance issue's introduced in previously working games, by new drivers, and from my own personal experience, is that when ever i've moved drivers, it's always caused at least one game to become unplayable. However it might be the last resort i guess.

link me to the story about a 'Far Cry DX 10 memory link' please.

There was a news article, where the reviewer performed several test's that showed there was a memory boundary issue, ie the game would crash at a certain mem level. It was a news article on gamespot, or ign, can't quite remember. There are posts about people having the issue:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5071014757/m/6591043028
http://www.ngohq.com/games/16801-far-cry-2-memory-leak-in-dx10-mode.html

playing in DX9 seems a bit silly...and look what your missing :) this is Far Cry 2 on my rig DX 10.1 maxed out

Man that is nice, and if i'm reading it correctly, fraps in the top left corner is showing your getting 218FPS ? With not being able to play FC2 maxed out anymore, i had forgotten how beautiful the graphics are, i miss my beautiful farcry :(
I guess i would need a quad C/F rig like yours to play FC2 on ultra high settings, with no jerkiness. At the moment, the jerkiness is just too unbearable at the high settings i used to play at, but playing at 800x600 with everything on low, on a C/F rig like mine, just seems wrong.

Yes there is something wrong going on there, you should be getting very high FPS. all I can advise is to get the latest drivers. crossfire has improved greatly for the 5xxx cards since 9.11. also you may have corrupted file in your driver set as well. install them and post back on the results, if its still poor performance we can look at other trouble shooting options.

Yes there is something wrong going on there, you should be getting very high FPS. all I can advise is to get the latest drivers. crossfire has improved greatly for the 5xxx cards since 9.11. also you may have corrupted file in your driver set as well. install them and post back on the results, if its still poor performance we can look at other trouble shooting options.

Actually now you mention it, i remember about 2 weeks ago, once when i was loading up crysis, it messed up some where while loading, and it caused one of them "windows is resetting" crashes, basically a win dialogue box poped up, saying "your video drivers have stopped working, windows is resetting" - could that have corrupted the cat 9.11 files ?

Actually now you mention it, i remember about 2 weeks ago, once when i was loading up crysis, it messed up some where while loading, and it caused one of them "windows is resetting" crashes, basically a win dialogue box poped up, saying "your video drivers have stopped working, windows is resetting" - could that have corrupted the cat 9.11 files ?

It could, but remember that absolutely anything can corrupt a file. go download the 10.6 and see if your problems don't go away. :)

Sry for delay.
I updated catalyst drivers to 10.6 with latest crossfire profile's.
Updated mouse drivers
Updated Direct-X

games are still jerky or skipping in crossfire, with farcry 2 still being the worst, and i still get it even on single card. This is just terrible. Basically got two grands worth of gaming rig, that i can no longer game on...

I don't know what to do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back