Really odd boot problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sr20rps13

I've formatted my computer about 4 days ago. On sunday I updated my graphics card driver and merged a partition with unallocated space with my c drive. It was fine after 1 boot up but then my father was using it and the screen turned black. I performed a system restore prior to the the graphics card driver update and it worked fine. The next morning, both my mother and father were confronted by this problem again. I returned from school and turned the computer on but it was fine for me. I've even gone as far as restarting the computer ten times and I was unable to replicate the problem. Later on, my father was using the computer and it happened again! I don't think my parents hit anything during the boot. Please help me, it's hard for me to figure it out because I can't replicate the problem and I can do without the smartass answers like "guess you'll have to turn the computer on for your pop and ma."

Thank you.

Hi and welcome to techspot. please provide some more info for us, like your system specs, etc, so we can better help you! thanks.

eMachines T5016
Pentium 4 519 2.93 processor @ 533 fsb
512MB DDR Ram
224MB Integrated intel video GMA 900
80GB HDD
Windows XP Home

Ok... well... when the screen turns black... what else happens, if anything? does the pc restart? any noises? does your dad say what he was doing at the time?

Well my dad starts the computer the way he usually does. He presses the power button and it starts automatically, the way I do it. The computer does not restart, I dont hear and hdd noises. I've noticed that the num lock and caps lock and scroll lock doesn't light up. I've gotten this error once my self so far. I really appreaciate your replies, sir. Thank you.

well I'm pretty sure its not the power supply, I swapped a fresh one in recently. Not too sure about the brand or model but I can check

there are 3 basic things you need for your computer to boot up, or POST: some RAM, a power supply, and a CPU, or processor. you might want to check out all 3 of these things, such as testing them in another machine, running online tests, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back