TechSpot

Realtek AC97 disabled - can't re-enable

By DP1982
May 14, 2005
  1. From out of nowhere it seems, I suddenly have no sound. I haven't done anything to my computer from when I had sound yesterday to when I don't have sound today. In the device manager it says my Realtec AC97 driver is disabled, i.e. the scary red X, which I did not physically do. I have no other audio drivers or sound cards. Yet when I go to enable the AC97 driver, I get a STOP error and memory dump and am told to restart the computer. Here's the analysis I get:

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xB09A2801, 0xF7C76B54, 0xF7C76854)
    ALCXWDM.sys - Address BD9A2801 base at B0989000, Datestamp 40e3b3db

I've tried re-installing the AC97 driver from the CD that came with my mobo (figured maybe a piece of data had gotten deleted somewhere) but with no luck.

I've just been using the on-board sound for a couple months now since I've built this computer, waiting to buy a good sound card. When I do buy a sound card, I am to assume that the manufactor (likely Creative Labs) will install their own driver. Would this then make the issue of the AC97 driver being disabled moot?

2. DP1982

DP1982 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well I found my solution... all I did was uninstall the driver and reboot. The computer then found the new hardware...

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Glad you found a solution to your problem.

I`m sorry that no one got around to answering your question. I assure you this is not the norm around here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

4. DP1982

DP1982 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, I posted this question simultaneously on several forums. It just so happens that I got my answer pretty quickly from another forum. I'm sure I would eventually have gotten an answer here as well. :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.