TechSpot

Realtek AC'97 vs Sound Blaster Live! CT4780

By Technochicken
May 28, 2009
  1. I have an old Sound Blaster Live! CT4780, pulled from a very old dell, and I was wondering how the quality would compare to my current integrated AC'97 Audio.

2. snowchick7669

snowchick7669 TS Maniac Posts: 660

3. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 729

4. snowchick7669

What operating system was on the old machine and which one do you have on yours now?

Generally sound cards are better then integrated audio (sometimes by a slight difference).

There seems to be a few of the Sound Blaster Live CT4780 that have 5.1 surround sound, if so then that would definitely be a lot better :)

5. Technochicken

The old machine was windows 98.

I believe my os and other specs are in my profile, and there is a quick link under my details on the right of my posts :)

It is the 5.1 version, but that does not necessarily mean it is better, as it is over 8 years old, and my current one is a year and a half old.

6. snowchick7669

Haha,

I'd probably say that Vista won't support that card and since its 8 years

I'd stick with the integrated sound :)

Sorry! Didn't realise it was that old >.<

7. Technochicken

Well, the manufacturer still has the drivers on it's website. But it would probably not make too much of a difference quality wise, and wouldn't be worth the hastle.

8. snowchick7669

Why not buy a more recent soundblaster?, I just went from my onboard to a 5.1 XFI for rather cheap actually

Would never go back, I'm in love with it :)

9. Technochicken

Well, the problem with buying things, is that it costs money...:D

Anyway, I was only asking because I found it burried in my box of old computer parts when I was cleaning it out.

10. gamerex

gamerex TS Enthusiast Posts: 151

There's no harm in trying it out. With Vista, it shouldn't cause any problems with having two sound cards.

11. snowchick7669

Are there Vista drivers for it though?

12. Technochicken

It has xp, but no vista, so it might work, but no guarantees. From reading some other forums, it seems people also have issues when you have over 2 gigs of ram.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.