Realtek HD Audio not working at all

By Peripheralz
Dec 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. So I just did a clean install of windows 7 64bit onto my new motherboard, its a asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 and ive installed all of windows updates, and drivers, ive installed all the drivers that came with my mobos disc, and the realtek hd audio driver isnt showing up as an audio device, its neither in my device manager or control panel, ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling many times and tried updating the driver and it still isnt working, I made sure the on board audio is enabled through my bios to, but nothing ive tried has worked, I went into dev manager and viewed through "connections" and I think its showing up as HD audio controller but thats it, I tried updating, uninstalling it but its not working, even updating my bios to the latest version, im running sli gtx 460's if that helps, please get back to me its very frustrating, both the front and rear jacks arent working.

Not in devmgr but its installed?

Or in control panel

Trying to give everything I can that might help

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,114   +732

There could be many issues here. First of all, you have way too many audio drivers installed. This could be causing conflicts. If I were you, I would uninstall Razer Surround especially. Personally, I didnt really like the experience I got after installing it, and frankly, a lot of Razer software is pretty bad. So that would be my first guess as to why the driver isnt showing. Secondly, why do you have so many nVidia HD Audio drivers installed?

Ok, so here are some possible fixes:
    1) Create a system restore (if you need help, refer to this)
    2) Uninstall Razer Surround.
    3) Uninstall nVidia Virtual Audio.
    4) Go back to Device Manager and uninstall any remaining nVidia HD Audio or Razer Surround drivers by right clicking and pressing uninstall.
    5) Restart your PC.
    6) Download and install the latest Realtek HD audio driver from here.

Tell me if this solves the issue. If it does not, report back.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. Peripheralz

Peripheralz Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I dont really know why I have so many nvidia drivers haha, im running sli gtx 460, could that be doing it? and as for razer ill give those suggestions a shot
  4. Peripheralz

Sadly it did not work, and also windows keeps adding ALL of the nvidia drivers back
  5. JC713

Hmm. Maybe go to the device manager and right click on each separately and check the box that states, "delete driver software" after the prompt comes up asking whether you want to uninstall or not.

If this doesnt work, I have another solution, but I really dont get why the nVidia audio driver is installing multiple times.

This is the other solution: run this tool. It should automatically fix your "no sound" issues. Unfortunately, it will not fix the audio driver clutter.
  6. Peripheralz

Yea I did that on one of them and it got rid of all of them, but when I reboot it reinstalls ALL of them haha im going to run that tool
  7. Peripheralz

It didnt detect any problems :/
  8. JC713

Oh man. I cannot seem to find a solution. Maybe someone else can shed light on this issue.

Maybe try uninstalling and disabling your internet connection and restarting so it cannot retrieve new drivers. And then install the Realtek driver.
  9. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,329   +95

This is a long shot to. I have all the nvidia hd sound drives in my computer. With my realtek. drivers. With no problems at all. If it were me I would try disabling the razor sound driver. Then try installing Realtek driver. Just to rule out by chance It is not canceling the realtek driver out as the main sound controller. Just a thought. Hope it helps.
  10. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,284   +153

Uninstalling an audio controller then reboot, causes it to reinstall and then try re-detect all of its downstream devices. So we'll try re-installing the controller for the downstream Realtek audio device.

You said you already know how to View by Connection in DevMgr? A
    > View by connection
    > Expand ACPI catetories untill you get to PCI
    > You should now see TWO HD Audio Controllers.
    ... One's for downstream nVidia. You'll see all nVdia connected to it
    ... The other controller, is for downstream Realtek. Problem, in your case, no devices appear downstream.

Right click the controller without any downstream devices. (that's the realtek controller) Select Uninstall. Reboot. Now look again, any downstream devices this time on both controllers?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  11. Peripheralz

Ive done that but after reboot windows just installs its own hd audio driver

I believe it should be this one

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  12. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,284   +153

Looks to me like you've done every thing right. (I'd guess you even read many old threads in the forum as you posted just about all the diagnostic data in your very first post! :) (y)

IMO The additonal info from the last two posts (#10 and #11) make me believe the Realtek audio chip failed. You said the board is new? Is it still under warranty? Work on getting ASUS to RMA the board

/* EDIT */
    p.s. That's also correct. Just about every HD audio controller I've seen in these forums (except for one) use the Microsoft generic driver for the controller. The vendors just supply their own hardware specific drivers for their sound cards (which sit downstream from the controller)
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Peripheralz likes this.
  13. Peripheralz

Yea I was reading an older post about the same thing and was following some of the steps someone was talking about so someone could read them and diagnose my problem haha but ok
    mannnnnnnnn I guess ill have to do that then :p thanks for all the helps guys :)

14. JC713

Glad to help.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.