Realtek HD Audio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nismo91

hi all, im using a Acer aspire 5930 here with Realtek HD Audio (ALC888S).

have been using this sound device more almost half a year, getting really annoyed with the "auto gain control" function from Realtek. in the past AC97 device, the realtek has option to enable or disable this function. Now, AGC is always turned on and it really annoy my ears.

soundeffect.gif

for those who doesnt understand what is AGC:
AGC is a software function to cut-off distortion by lowering the output level.
the bad thing is, its so highly uneffective that even using realtek's own dolby natural bass will trigger this thing. sound is squashed and dragged.

for quick example, play a bassy music on WMP and turn on SRS TruBass to 50% or above. you will hear the sound is dragged and squashed.

while, surprisingly, an inferior SigmaTel HD audio doesnt have this feature. means when i set SRS TruBass to 50%, i can hear my speakers distort. but the sound are not "processed" hence it still sound better than the realtek one.

anyone using realtek experiencing same problem?
or does it only apply to realtek notebook range..

it is my desktop. previously it was sigmatel hd as well, until its totally dead and force me to buy another soundcard.

the realtek HD im talking here is about my laptop. my complete profile shows it at #2 pc.

wish to know, if other realtek HD users also suffer same effect like me... :D

Maybe just me.. but a few things i find confusing..

You keep mention use of HiDef yet your config panel is for AC'97
>> AC'97 is the older sound standard and is just plain odd to be getting an AC'97 config display with HiDef unless you maybe have both a HiDef AND AC'97 sound devices attached?

>> Take a close look in Device Manager under Sound. For each Device, rt click Properties->Details. Look at the Device Instance ID
>> Each device ID will begin with an "enumerator" of the form xxx\
>> The enumerator for HiDef will be HDAUDIO\
>> I'd expect an AC97 device to show an enumerator of PCI\ or USB\
>> You can ignore any device with a Root\ enumerated ID

So what enumerators do you see listed for your devices under sound?

Is this realtek problem in XP too?

it does happens, if i check the box mentioned "auto gain control".

in vista, im trying as hard as i can to find that toggle switch...

Maybe just me.. but a few things i find confusing..

You keep mention use of HiDef yet your config panel is for AC'97
>> AC'97 is the older sound standard and is just plain odd to be getting an AC'97 config display with HiDef unless you maybe have both a HiDef AND AC'97 sound devices attached?

>> Take a close look in Device Manager under Sound. For each Device, rt click Properties->Details. Look at the Device Instance ID
>> Each device ID will begin with an "enumerator" of the form xxx\
>> The enumerator for HiDef will be HDAUDIO\
>> I'd expect an AC97 device to show an enumerator of PCI\ or USB\
>> You can ignore any device with a Root\ enumerated ID

So what enumerators do you see listed for your devices under sound?

yes, the enumerator saids HDAUDIO. anyway, sorry for confusing you all, but i did not mean to mix-up between AC97 and HD Audio. the image is only for example only. has nothing to do with my current setup.

what i mean is, in the past, my old computer has a "toggle switch" to enable and disable something that im experiencing now (as seen in the picture). however, in my current hd audio realtek, i couldnt disable...

in other words, actually im looking for the "auto gain control" checkbox in the realtek HD control panel... or other "alternatives" to stop the effect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back