Reasonable cheap upgrade for fried Pentium D system?

Ural_

My Computer recently broke down to an irreparable level, this could not have come at a worse time since I will be cash strapped for the next 6 or so months. Though I have found an AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 system for sale for only $125AUD. Pretty much a barebones system with XP SP2, I can swap my hard drives and Graphics card to this computer.

The question I'm wondering is, due to my non-experience with AMD, I'm not sure how it will handle compared to my other ancient system.

Main uses for the computer were: Browsing, Photo-editing, Occasional Video-Editing and some light Gaming(Crysis/COD/Oblivion, only with settings set to medium and not planning to purchase any more graphic intensive games) Not sure if this computer will handle them.

Oh and incase this post doesn't already show the specs for my last computer, the basics were.

Pentium D 2.8GHz Processor
320GB Hard Drive
160GB OS Hard Drive
250 Watt PSU (Yes I know, very bad considering the video card)
Asus ATI Radeon 4670

On that question, will I be able to back up my data on my older harddrives to an external harddrive connected to the new system before reformatting, I haven't been able to retrieve the data any other method as even trying linux on the old system failed.

On that question, will I be able to back up my data on my older harddrives to an external harddrive connected to the new system before reformatting, I haven't been able to retrieve the data any other method as even trying linux on the old system failed.
That should be fine as long as the hdd is undamaged, however, you'll have to get you're hands on a working machine first. You might be able to get your new setup to boot with your old harddrive using safemode.

I have a few working old machines(IDE), I was thinking of getting a sata to usb adapter, then just dragging what I need to a removable external hardrive if you think that might work?

Back