Reboot/reset, no problem. Power down>power up, problem

Mazrim

Hi guys, I have a strange problem here. This is actually a continuation of the thread "struck by lightning", so if this belongs there, my apologies.

Let me start from the beginning: Both my rigs were hit by lightning back in mid summer, and I had to completely rebuild both from the ground up. Rig #1 (my personal rig) has had no problems since rebuilding, but rig #2 (my sons/fiance's rig) wasn't booting up at all. I had given up on rig #2 for a month or so, then got back on it; a lot of part swaps and voltage checks later confirmed that the brand new PSU I had purchased (Corsair 850W modular) was in fact bad, even though my voltage checks showed no problems. So I purchased a 600W single rail PSU (48A on 12v rail), since it was all I could afford for the time being. HEre are the following specs for rig #2:

AMD Phenom II quad core, 3.3 GHz

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo

G-Skill Ripjaws series 4x 2 GB sticks

ATi Radeon 5750 1 GB Graphics card

Corsair 600W single - rail gaming series PSU (48A on 12V rail)

Thermaltake V1 120mm cpu heatsink/fan

HD: WD 750GB

Cooling: Azza case running 2x 250mm and 4x 120mm fans

Here's the strange stuff that's going on now: I DL'd the most current drievers for all of my hardware (directly from the websites - I never use the included driver disks). When I powered it on, I got the same result from the 1st time I had issues rebuilding it (black screen, no post). I thought that maybe I had yet another bad PSU, so I swapped out with the PSU from rig #1 (Rosewill 1Kw), and still got nothing. I swapped back to the new PSU, and it fired up right away as though nothing was wrong. So I installed windows XP Home on it, and started updating. Literally a dozen resets later, I had no issues, but when I fully powered the rig down to move it to the other side of the game room, I got the same thing: Black screen, no posting. I performed a hard power down, let it sit for a few seconds, then powered it back up, and it booted up fine.

It seems that whenever I power down fully, it has a hard time posting/booting up, but whenever I reset the rig while it's on, I get a post up right away. I guess the question is this: Do I have ANOTHER bad PSU, and it's just good enough to once in a while provide the juice needed to boot? Is this a sub - par PSU, even though it provides ample power to the 12v rail? Or do I have a bad mobo? (this would be the 4th in a row from Asus I've had to RMA if so)

Any advice would be great, thanks all :)

Back