Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

addlemand

System keeps rebooting. Have replaced the hard drive, ram and power supply. Done a clean install windows xp. Ecery time I try to run winamp or spybot 1.62 the machines either locks up oir reboots. I have included a machine su,,arty amd 4 mini dumps anyone have any ideas ?

Faults seem to be all caused by Norton Antivirus and Spybot Search and Destroy

One easy way to rid yourself of this is to uninstall them (but this is your choice)

Uninstall Spybot S&D
Uninstall Norton Antivirus and then run the Norton Removal Too l>> ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Restart

Download and install >> Free Avira Antivirus and do a full updated scan

-----------------

Basically your computer is a bit on the old side (ok a lot :)) And Norton is just too much for it

Recommend light weight Free Avira, and >> Free Malwarebytes for updated quick scans

So how did the scans go?

Clean install ?
A clean install means nothing is installed, except Windows and Windows updates and drivers
Winamp doesn't come with Windows ;)

Run Memtest to confirm your Ram is ok
As your computer was made around Windows 98/2000 days, its likely the Ram is faulty
Or do another clean install ;) Here's the guide on that if you are unsure:

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

Scans are fine put in a new hard drive and ram deleted the partiton and reload windows xp got all the updates then loaded winamp. winamp still crashes like it did before. I am positive it is not a virus. Did not load norton or spybot. winamp will start and then crash thecomputer and reboot

Download HijackThis https://www.techspot.com/downloads/317-trend-micro-hijackthis.html
Run a scan only and post back the log as an Attachment
attach.gif
in a new reply

I use winamp because i can use it with a ipod and dont like using itunes. VLC does not support the ipod to knowledge.

I am using windows media player 9 as that is one update that i have not put on since it is not a critcal update

Sorry I mean after reading their forums, WMP 9 and 11 seem to have issues.
You have 9, therefore I think you need to update to 10 only
You may need to ask there, but that's what I got from reading it, yesterday.

WMP 10 will not install it says that it is incompatible. Also when I play audio files in wmp it crashes to just like winamp

Yep that sounds like the incompatibility I was talking about ;)

Again you may be best asking at Winamp forums

But what I'd do first is uninstall Winamp, then Restart, then download WMP 10 first
Then Restart, and then install Winamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back