Rebuilding Computer for Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm trying to rebuild a computer for the first time because I've recently gotten into some Higher end gaming.

I want to be able to run windows 7 beta (I've heard its pretty light and am interested to check it out). But my main reason for rebuilding is gaming.

If anyone has time to help me choose which parts must be replaced and which parts they should be replaced with I'd greatly appreciate it. The cheaper I can get this thing running good games the better.

Here's my current setup:

Gateway E-4000
Intel Pentium 4 Processor CPU 2.00GHz
254Mb Ram
DirectX 9.0 currently (It'd be cool to run DX10 if its not going to be too far outta my price range)

Graphics:
NVDIA GeForce MX 440
128MB memory.
32 Bit @ 1152 x 864 resolution

SoundMAX Digital Audio (sound)

P.S. if its possible to replace parts 1 by 1 with those most important first that's how I'd love to do it.

Thank you!

Hi Boods94,
Welcome to Techspot :)
you should really consider just replacing the system, you really would have a hard time finding a worse machine to try and make a gamer out of. its a 6 year old business pc that has slow DDR ram, its a slimline case that is cramped,only takes half pcb cards, only has an AGP interface, and would be impossible to cool as a gaming machine even if you could get the required parts in it. not to mention that it would need a special proprietary power supply to replace the non standard ATX PSU that is in there now. if by 'high end gaming' you mean the likes of bioshock,far cry2,fallout3,crysis, GTA4,halo, and the like, its not going to happen. sorry. for the dollars you would spend on the futile attempt, you could put together a decent gaming system that would run the new titles you want.

We need a budget and your location to give you specific recommendations.

Also, I agree with Greg, you will be better off building a new system instead; the amount of money you'd need to spend on upgrading your current system to make it suitable for gaming wouldn't be justified IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back