Rebuilt Windows XP, now it won't activate

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty[hk]

In accordance with a suggestion in this thread, a "total rebuild" of my Windows XP using a slipstreamed SP3 disk.
It all seemed to go well, until the final reboot after entering my product key.
It hung at the loading screen for about an hour, until I manually rebooted, then it booted into windows normally, except at 800x600 resolution, which I would think isn't abnormal after such a procedure (though I really don't know).

I tried to login, and it asked me to activate windows before I can use it. If I click no, it logs me in, then immediately logs me out. If I click yes, I sit at my desktop with nothing but the background and my cursor. I can't do anything.

I can boot into safe mode and log in, but it has the unactivated watermark.

In safemode, I tried entering in
regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

Both seem to have worked, but nothing is different.

EDIT: I also tried to replace my WPA.dbl file from a different computer...probably a bad idea, but it doesn't seem to have done anything.
I've also just tried changing my product key to another one I have, both have not worked. I'm pretty sure both were legit too, and the first one I tried should be the same one I was using before.

Thanks.

I tried a system restore, but apparently there are no restore points.
Last known good configuration did nothing.
Yes this was a bump.

I suggest that there might have been something wrong with the slipstreamed CD but I don't know what it could be. But whether there is or not, I would consider starting over again using the original, non-slipstreamed Windows CD and applying the appropriate service packs separately. Yes, it takes longer and it might be more work but it should give you a clean install. It could take forever to track the problem down otherwise. Is this feasible in your situation?

If it's just the activation you're having trouble with, call MS and tell them you're having problems with SP3. That's what had to do like a year or so ago and they gave me an activation code right over the phone. It wasn't too bad connecting to a service rep. and the whole thing took maybe 10 minutes. I don't use slipstreamed CD's myself but I've encountered similar problems which makes be feel like they are more trouble than what they're worth... especially because SP3 only takes around 15-20 minutes to normally install at the most ;)

You need to find out what underlying XP install CD they slipstreamed.

The activation key for the slipstreamed CD must work with the original disk in the first place. (e.g. you can't use a Dell activation key with a MS commercial install disk or vice-versa)

I also think might have problems if used one OEM's CD on another OEM's computer. Note OEM XP install CDs include an $OEM$ folder

attachment.php

Attachments

• Slipstream.jpg
    Slipstream.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 33
No, its not an OEM CD I just checked on linux, and I built this computer.
Now I still have to find out where my original XP disk is...

EDIT: I tried repeating the rebuild procedure with another a microsoft MSDN XP SP1 disk I borrowed which looks kind of like one of these green disks, except it says Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1a, Windows XP tablet PC Edition, Disc1. I don't know about the tablet pc part, but seems like a normal XP disk.

Now right before I get to the login screen "applying settings" (or one of those messages that windows flashes really fast right before the login screen), it hangs on it for a few minutes, then reboots. It does the same thing with safe mode, except after the hang, it does get me to the login screen, but has the activation watermark.

Weird.

Wow! Talk about subliminal messaging... I read your post, saw your pic and had the immediate urge and went to get an orange from the fridge! (Ummm... and just curious... why are there oranges on your CD sleeves? :D )

Now back to the topic.....

OK. Sounds like OEM disks aren't a part of your problem. I've never installed XP Tablet PC edition (A quick google describes it as a "superset" of XP as it includes XP + specific software for Tablet PCs functionality). So i'd also guess it should install without problem.

As you already described it... "Weird"

Haha, thats not my picture, as to why there are oranges...I don't know heh. I ate an orange too.

With some google-ing, it seems others have a similar activation freeze, I guess i'll keep looking.

I don't know WTF just happened, but I gave my XPSP3 disk one last chance with the dirty install, and for whatever reason, it decided to activate as though nothing happened...alright I can go with that.
Thanks for looking into it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back