Receiving blue screen stop error on normal XP SP3 startup

A few days ago, my father used this computer for reasons I see no exact reasoning to allow. Since then, this computer has been unable to run outside of Safe Mode. Upon reaching the Windows XP Logo, it would instantly restart. I have disabled Automatic Restarting and receive a blue screen mentioning this STOP error:

Code:
***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF782E9B9, 0xF8BF5538, 0xF8BF5234)

I do not know what he did, nor would he know or remember anyway. It is my believe this is caused by a viral infection of the computer due to his arrogance of safe internet usage procedures, but individual scans of the HDDs prove nearly useless. I have found posts of similar errors requiring checks and such I am unacquainted with, but I am hoping help could be provided. This computer is an eMachines T2958, purchased around 5 years ago.

I have lost track of what more information you'll need, besides exact specs (which I'll need to find, then). So inquire where needed. I am only hoping that restores or formats are not required. I had a minor bad experience a few years back where my sister did a system restore without my consent and I had lost a large majority of code I had written for a game.

Edit: I've added the computer specs I obtained from PC Wizard 2008 in 2007 to my profile. The only change since then is finally moving to Windows XP Service Pack 3 after finding the erroneous registry by one of my programs preventing the upgrade. The hardware is the same. Not everything is there, but it's not exactly detectable... At least back then. I tried running PC Wizard 2010, and then 2008, but Safe Mode is preventing it anyway.

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

Generally when one can only access through Safe Mode the issue is due to drivers.

If you can access through Safe Mode check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information such as Yellow Triangles and RedXs and note what they flag.

Due to the fact that you are suspicious of viral infection go to our Virus and Malware Removal forum and read the UPDATED 8 Step sticky and if you can follow the steps as given.

Then on that forum post there with the the required logs attached. You'll get excellent help.

I fixed it myself, but my fear is that I did a wide assortment of actions all at once which lead to the computer working again. I had read Daemon might cause it, so I deleted it's .sys. When I restarted to check, a Disk Check started running which I had forgotten I set. Before that, I had done other actions that messed with suspected problems. I'm not sure if I've fixed the problem, or simply patched it. If it were to occur again, I'd be unsure of the actions to take.

If it was Daemon, I'm done with that. It prevented me from installing XP SP3, and now that. It worked best for me when I wanted image simulation, but I guess I'll just have to find something else.

... Still curious what the problem was, though.

Back