Receiving email from TigerDirect.com after browsing

cliffordcooley

I frequently visit Tigerdirect.com, not as much as I use too though. I have an account but have not logged in for a long time and have even changed computer once or twice since my last login. I also have a RSS news feed through Windows Live Mail so I can keep up with merchandise sales. What I don't understand is how I can visit the site, leave something in the shopping cart and the next thing I know, I am getting an Email telling me as much. I am even receiving Emails stating which items I have viewed recently.

I have also noticed that when visiting website with advertising, the ads will show items that I have recently viewed from other websites. I don't like either one of these two activities. Is there anything I can do short of staying of the Internet to put a stop to this.

If I am not mistaken ad-blocking only stops the ads from showing and scripts from running. Ad-blocking would not put a stop to whatever is tracing my steps. The ads showing my previous browsing only irritates me. Having emails sent to me as a result of my browsing, pisses me off.

Does anyone have an idea if there is a setting I can change to prevent this activity without completely disabling cookies? I personally see this as being a privacy violation.

I frequently visit Tigerdirect.com, not as much as I use too though. I have an account but have not logged in for a long time and have even changed computer once or twice since my last login. I also have a RSS news feed through Windows Live Mail so I can keep up with merchandise sales. What I don't understand is how I can visit the site, leave something in the shopping cart and the next thing I know, I am getting an Email telling me as much. I am even receiving Emails stating which items I have viewed recently.

I have also noticed that when visiting website with advertising, the ads will show items that I have recently viewed from other websites. I don't like either one of these two activities. Is there anything I can do short of staying of the Internet to put a stop to this.

If I am not mistaken ad-blocking only stops the ads from showing and scripts from running. Ad-blocking would not put a stop to whatever is tracing my steps. The ads showing my previous browsing only irritates me. Having emails sent to me as a result of my browsing, pisses me off.

Does anyone have an idea if there is a setting I can change to prevent this activity without completely disabling cookies? I personally see this as being a privacy violation.
You might try going here http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/help/contactus.asp
& asking them what to do. Good luck.

You might try going here http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/help/contactus.asp
& asking them what to do. Good luck.
Thanks learninmypc, right now I want to understand how browsing can be linked to my email address. If I contacted Tigerdirect on the issue to have it stopped, I wouldn't be able to test possible solutions. I was hoping someone here that understands how all this works could suggest how its possible.

Part of my question is related to more websites than Tigerdirect.

Are you searching with google and using gmail? I heard of others having this issue ever since google changed there privacy policy.

Are you searching with google and using gmail? I heard of others having this issue ever since google changed there privacy policy.
I'm afraid not, I've never had gmail and don't use Google for a search engine. I've always used IE default search and since switching to Opera, I've continued to use Bing. It's not what I have searched for, it's what I have viewed from specific sites. Say the Ad is for newegg, the items listed would be items I have viewed while visiting newegg. I don't like this behavior because it means there is information being stored and used while you are no longer visiting the site. Cleaning with CCleaner while leaving cookies intact because of stored forum logins never seems to work.

Back