Recent items in start menu

srpremkumar

I have Windows 7 OS and Office 2010 in my laptop.
In start menu, I find recent items for programs such as paint, notepad, adobe reader but not for excel and word though I have pinned these programs there. Any suggestion to get the recent items there?
Premkumar

File in Recent Items are listed according to date/time of their usage.

Programs are listed in the Start Menu as per frequency of their usage. The more you use a program the higher it will show in the list.

Personally I've Word/Excel etc. pinned on the task bar as well, saves the hassle of clicking on start menu and then selecting whatever I want to run.

I am using Word and Excel very frequently. Even then I don't find any recent items list at all for those two applications in Start Menu. I tried pinning to Task bar. Even there no recent items list.
Premkumar

Empty your Recent Item list by right clicking on each item and selecting Remove.

Once you have done that, continue your normal usage pattern and see whether that fixes the issue.

When you open Word 2010, click on 'File' and you should find the recent documents listed there.
If you use 'CCleaner' look in the 'Cleaner' option, and the 'Applications' tab.
You might find the 'Office 2010' option is ticked, and that may be deleting your 'recent documents' list from Office. Try unticking the 'Office 2010' box.
(* Just tested that idea, 'CCleaner' does clear the 'Recently used' list in Word 2010, no doubt same in Excel 2010.)

When I open Word or Excel and click on File, I find all the recent files. But in Start Menu not even a single file appears against word or excel. Even the symbol ►is not there against these two applications whereas the symbol is there against other applications such as notepad, adobe reader etc.
I don't use Ccleaner.
Premkumar

Pinning Word icon to Start menu (or taskbar)

Have you used the option 'Pin to start menu' by right-clicking on MS Word, in MS Office? You can also choose to have the 'Word' etc, icon on the taskbar, where the most recent files are also shown.
(See image attached.)

Attachments

• Word_icon_in_taskbar.jpg
    Word_icon_in_taskbar.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2
The Word and Excel programs already pinned to the Start Menu. My problem is that I am not getting the display of the arrow mark and the list of recent files.
Premkumar

Back