Recent problems downloading file share sites using TOR

By Debbie23
May 28, 2009
  1. Using latest stable Vadilia / TOR / Privoxy bundle for Windows (on Vista x64), with Tor Button for Firefox.

When trying to d/l ANY type file from many file sharing sites, incl Rapidshare, always get message:

I'm not downloading a file from the stated address, & often haven't downloaded anything from that site - in days, or EVER (someone else may be).

Even if I get a NEW IP address (by various means), clear Firefox & the page & try again, get same message.

Any ideas what's going on & how to get around it?

2. mrturtle

mrturtle TS Rookie Posts: 43

Have you got Tor set to allow other Tor users to use your internet connection as a node in the Tor network?
  3. Debbie23

Debbie23 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 53

Don't think so. I believe you're referring to setting up your (my) computer as a server on the TOR network? If so, that requires going through specific steps to "setup relaying?"

Under my Tor Settings > Sharing, it is checked to "run as client only."

I never had it set up at any time (AFAIK) to act as a relay (server).
  4. mrturtle

mrturtle TS Rookie Posts: 43

Hmmm, does anyone else have access to your router/internet connection.

I'm assuming that you have it set up securely and that no one else is piggybacking off your connection?
  5. Debbie23

Debbie23 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 53

No, there's no way anyone gained access to my router (TIKO) - Linksys WRT54GL.

My desktop that use TOR on is wired. Have a wireless network (one laptop), but it was setup w/ WPA2 - AES security, and using a 25 random character network PW.

Neither PC has been infected w/ anything - AFAIK & never had any problems.

I'm thinking it's more of the filesharing sites - rapidshare, etc. - not playing nice w/ proxies in general or TOR / onion network specifically.

This is just a quick link I grabbed to d/l from rapidshare to show what was happening & the message. I blanked the IP address, though I assure you it's one from Onion network, not real ISP (dynamic) address.
    NOTE: Rapidshare also has this message at bottom of error page:

Are they saying if you use a proxy, you probably won't be able to d/l from them?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.