Recent reinstall lost drivers help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all, i firstly are pretty new to computers!, but recently i reinstalled xp home edition, but on completion i found in device manager some features had ? in yellow, sm bus controller, unknown device,video controller, video controller (vga compatable), & my pc is not running correctly at all i think due to these missing drivers?! can anyone please shed some light where i have gone wrong? thank you

Reinstalling Windows will require the installation of those drivers. You didn't do anything wrong. It just is. Go to the PC manufacturer's (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) for most of those drivers if you don't have a driver CD. If the PC is self built or custom built, then go to the motherboard maker's website for those drivers. Go to the graphics card maker's website for graphics drivers.

Reinstalling Windows will require the installation of those drivers. You didn't do anything wrong. It just is. Go to the PC manufacturer's (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) for most of those drivers if you don't have a driver CD. If the PC is self built or custom built, then go to the motherboard maker's website for those drivers. Go to the graphics card maker's website for graphics drivers.

hi, the pc was custom built but i have misplaced the cd/disk that came with it , all i know is it has a msi k9ngm/ k9ngm2, with nvidia c51g / c51pv chipset, ive been on the msi website but failed to find the drivers & also on the nvidia website with same result!, from what ive written would you know what drivers i need to download? ie chipset, graphics card etc? thanks

thanks mailpup, that worked for the sm bus controller, however still got the unknown device? video controller? & video controller( vga compatible) ? showing up! & i cant for the life of me find a graphics card all though they obviously is one as it had previously run without problems, thanks again

The graphics driver is separate from the others. You may have to open the PC and look at the graphics card to see what it is. Since graphics cards are installed "up side down" with respect to their labeling, you might have to remove it to read it. Likely it is either an ATI Radeon or an Nvidia card but we have to know which and which model in order to find the right graphics driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back