Recent Windows Update disabled my touchpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

BLUF:

1. Did a recent windows XP update on my toshiba m35X-S163 latop. Touchpad now non responsive.

2. Tried to roll back driver. - no driver rollback found.

3. I have system restore already disabled. So this is not an option.

4. I also have GOBACK, but I do not think this will work. I also have other files that are updated that I do not wish to GOBACK from.

5. downloaded the original toshiba tocuhpad drivers. They will not install.

I am stuck.

How to remove this recent update?

Why not use a plug in mouse for now, and go to the Toshiba site to download the drivers for the touch pad?

been there done that, got no t-shirt. The toshiba drivers don't install.
But I did find a solution:

STEPS:
1. Open "My Computer" and go to the following location
C:\windows\system32\drivers.

2. Find a file named "idcphid.sys" and rename it to "idcphid.old"

3. Now uninstall the "IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2)" driver under "Human
Interface Devices" in "Device Manager" (Device Manager can be found under
"Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management")

4. Your computer will require a restart. After the restart completes your
problem should be fixed.

rolling back drivers won't work, nor will disabling the device without removing the offending file. The offending driver will reinstall otherwise.

But the pad is working now, nonetheless.

ok... here's a further continuation of the solution. Once you have removed the offending files and disabled the update, Windows is going to try and reinstall the offending update. Just disallow it on bootup. Now you're gonna have to get an older version of the driver. Several are available here: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7121

unzip the file. DO NOT use the installer program. It won't work. Instead, here's the workaround-

go to add new hardware- windows will come up with a mouse driver missing. When it looks for the driver file - tell it to specifically search the unzipped folder you made. The driver will install and you will need to reboot. Now the pad should work just fine again.

I hope this helps all those affected by this blooper of an update. Just goes to prove - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back