Recently started to experience BSOD and random freezing on PC

Miles1226

Hello. just yesterday, my computer started to experience a number of problems. It all started when I left a computer game running while I left shortly. When I got back, the computer had crashed because there was a black screen with the words: disk read error has occurred...press ctrl alt del to restart. Following the instructions on screen, I naturally did what it said, but it would come back to the same screen. After a few tries, I was able to get the the screen where it would allow me to choose between "Run windows repair" or "Start windows normally" options. Regardless of what I did, the computer took me to a BSOD and would immediatly crash. After a few tries, I would be able to get the computer to run normally, but that wont last for long. After a few minutes, the computer up and froze and wouldnt work; so I had to hard restart it, and then it gave me BSOD again. Im not sure whats going on and do not know if I need to do some serious repairs on my computer. It's only around 5 months old so I dont see why im experiencing these problems. Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any help.

Could be a hard drive problem. Let's see if any minidump files were created. If you can go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files and right-click sending the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here. Is this a laptop or a desktop computer?

I have a desk top. Also, I couldn't compress to a zip because access was denied. Is there another way to upload the files?

NM, I think I figured out how to do it. Let me know if it didnt zip properly

Attachments

• Minidump copy.zip
    62 KB · Views: 3
The minidumps are proper, but they don't tell us much... Do you know what the make and model of this desktop is? The hard drive can be tested but we need to know who made it...

All I could find was the manufacturer's name (iBUYPOWER) and AZZA on the case itself, other than that nothing.

Operating System System Model
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 9/21/2012 4:54:22 PM iBUYPOWER Computers
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
3.60 gigahertz AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core
192 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total) Board: ASRock N68-VS3 FX
Serial Number: E80-26016700963
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.30 11/14/2011
Drives Memory Modules c,d
500.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
302.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI iHAS124 C SCSI CdRom Device [Optical drive]

WDC WD50 00AAKX-001CA SCSI Disk Device (500.10 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAYUR035399, SMART Status: Healthy 8176 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 4096 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 4096 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 500.00 GB 302.65 GB free
Network Drives
None discovered
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
trans.gif
Yuichi 3/13/2013 11:14:43 AM (admin)
local system accounts
no.gif
Administrator 8/29/2012 1:19:57 PM (admin)
no.gif
Guest never
trans.gif
HomeGroupUser$ never
no.gif
Marks a disabled account;
lock.gif
Marks a locked account
HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series on CN18G343NG05HX
HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series on USB001
Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
Send To Microsoft OneNote 2010 Driver on nul:
Controllers Display
ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (2x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series [Display adapter]
Acer S201HL [Monitor] (19.9"vis, s/n ETLNY08003227112214225, July 2012)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller AMD High Definition Audio Device
VIA High Definition Audio
Virus Protection [Back to Top] Group Policies
Norton AntiVirus Version 20.2.0.19
Norton Security Suite None discovered
Communications Other Devices

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
↑ NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.7 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: BC:5F:F4:4C:34:80
Connection Speed: 100 Mbps
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.1 HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)
HID-compliant device (3x)
USB Input Device (4x)
HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series (NET)
HID Keyboard Device
HID-compliant mouse
USB Composite Device (2x)
USB Root Hub (2x)
USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details) Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details)
Last Used
CENTON DS Pro, s/n 72B7B95B, rev 8.07 3/4/2013 5:06:21 PM*
SONY "PSP" MS, s/n 3BA1B59A56B296AB, rev 1.00 3/4/2013 11:44:24 AM*
HTC Android Phone, s/n HT24XW401874, rev 0000 2/18/2013 5:25:22 PM*
* Possibly used again before the reboot following this time.

Okay, nice work. Remove Norton and see if the computer returns to normal. If this doesn't cure things, we might try another power supply

Is norton the cause of this? I'd like to keep it if possible. Also The past 24 hours, my computer seems ok. No crashes while running games and no BSOD or random freezes. The only thing I havent done yet is completely shutting down and restarting again. I just leave it in sleep mode when I dont use it.

Norton has been known to cause computer instability like you are having here. It is up to you if you don't want to do what I suggested. Are you able to re-install it later?

I should be able to re-install it, but I really would like to avoid it. I assumed that it shouldn't be the problem since I've had it since December of last year, and these BSOD and random crashes started to occur only last Sunday. But if you really suggest that I remove norton, I will do it.

Norton can be affected by recent Windows updates, so whether Norton was running fine then, makes no difference now. Again, I would remove Norton and see if the computer will stabilize

Im almost certain that its the HDD. Download drive fitness tool. Burn it on a disk and boot off of it. Run the advance diagnostic on it. It will take some time. At the end it will tell you if the drive is bad or not

Those are my 2 cents haha

I dont know if the problem is fixed or not, but windows updated a little while ago and my computer now seems perfectly fine. No crashes during start up, no disk driver error, nothing. Could something *** simple as an update fix this problem? Or did I just get luck and have a smooth logon?

Ok, thanks for all your help and insight. Hopefully everything is ok. If I start experienceing problems again, I'll post again lol.

Back