Recommendations for new GPU

By sbbee
Jun 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys, I've been thinking about upgrading my graphics card as I've been experiencing some less-than-great FPS in newer games, and I'm starting to notice the lack of DX11. I play pretty much anything I can get my hands on, but currently The Witcher 2 and Black Ops.
    The card I have now is Radeon HD4870 1024MB.

I have a relatively new PSU at 850W(Overkill, I know :)) I'm not sure about the brand but I guess I can open it up if you need to know.

Motherboard
    Manufacturer: ASUS
    Model: P5Q-Pro
    PCI-Express, x16

CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

Memory
    4GB RAM

So, I've been looking at possibly getting the Radeon 6950, or do you have some other suggestions? How does the different manufacturers compare i.e. XFX vs Sapphire?
    Also, how will my CPU and Mobo hold up, or would I be better off replacing them?

Big thanks in advance! :)
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,459   +135

Get what ever your budget can handle. You don't mention what your version of Windows is
  3. sbbee

sbbee Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well yeah, but I don't really know the differences between the cards, hence why I was asking for recommendations in the 6950 card pricerange. I'm using Windows 7 by the way.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,459   +135

Make sure that the card you use will be DX11 ready. I'm an Nvidia fan, but I'm sure others here will have recommendations for you
  5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

What resolution do you play at, or want to play at? and what level of detail do you want to set?
  6. MCJeeba

MCJeeba Newcomer, in training Posts: 26

The 6950 is probably the best bang for your buck right now... IF you can successfully flash them to a full 6970, which I hear is extremely easy.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.