Recommended monitor size for 1920x1080

lopdog

Hi!

I'm about to buy a new LCD monitor to connect with my laptop. My laptop has a 15,6 inch screen with 1920x1080 resolution. For my external monitor I'd like to have the same resolution, but what about the size?

Does someone have any recommendations? Not to big (right now I'm using a 32 inch TV, way to big to be comfortable), but not so small that I have to sit too close to the screen. I'm thinking somewhere between 19 and 24 inches. Any opinions?

I have a couple 22" Acer monitors, my only complaint on them is their default color settings are horrible. That is of course fixable with your video card's control settings. I got a pretty good deal on mine about 6 months ago, I don't know what they cost now, but it should be pretty reasonable.

They replaced 2 Benq 20.1" 1680x1050 monitors which I really liked.

With the newer 16:9 aspect ratio monitors, I'd suggest an inch or so larger than you might be used to working with computer standard 16:10 WS monitors.

Were you to trade size exactly, you'd lose quite a bit of vertical screen.

Exchanging a 22" 16:10 monitor for a 16:9 panel, I'd grab at least a 23" 1080P.

This of course depends on what you will be doing. If you're only going to be watching movies, it doesn't matter so much. But if you're going to be doing photo editing, the loss of screen height with 16:9 panels, is immediately evident, especially when working with images in the portrait orientation.

Thank you for your advice. I do a lot of work with images and drawings, so I guess 22"-23" would be good. I'll post a few words when I get my new monitor, just for the record.

OK, I have chosen an LG Flatron M2380A, this is a 23" LED monitor/TV with full HD. As captaincranky said, this size compensates for the loss of vertical screen because of the 16:9 aspect ratio.
I connect this monitor to my Lenovo W510 laptop, also with full HD, but only 15,6 inches. It's practical to have the same resolution on both monitors.

Back