Recover files from external HD

By nicolasjr
Apr 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Thanks,..I need recover some files from an external HD ,..I just try with the program GetDataBack it show all files but I can´t take them out ,..it need a license and I haven´t ,...so if you have any idea of programs what I can use to do this I´ll apreciate a lot .---GOD BLESS YOU
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,430   +281

3. dawghunter

dawghunter Newcomer, in training Posts: 36

I tried Pareto Logic Data Recovery and then paid for the PRO version and the sucker keeps freezing up on me and when I cancel it it will not cancel out. Has run as long a a full day and still won't cancel. Their troubleshooter told me to use RECUVA. It keeps saying OUT OF MEMORY after 2 full days of scanning. Looking st Stellar Phoenix 4.2 as I type but am apprehensive of throwing more good money after bad. In the same boat you are and looking for answers too.
  4. Doctor John

Doctor John TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 247   +15

I would suggest increasing your paging file to 2 or 3 times the RAM size, and trying again with Recuva - time it, if it still stalls, try cancelling the scan manually a few minutes before it is due to run out of memory, it may still recover a lot of files. Failing that, maybe you could borrow another PC with loads of RAM? :)
  5. mike1959

mike1959 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,033   +15

I have used 'Recuva' a few times, with really good results. Scanning time was a few minutes on a 40 GB HD. It found and recovered .jpg and .avi and .mpg videos. A few could not be recovered but most were fine. Saved the files out to a 4GB flash drive.
  6. dawghunter

dawghunter Newcomer, in training Posts: 36

OK folks, thanks. I have launched STELLAR PHOENIX 4.2. It has been running for a couple of days on a 1.5T Seagate goflex external, and when I quick-formatted it contained approximately 300 or so G of data. I had a copy from 2/19/2012 and back, but new stuff from 2/19 till 4/12 gone and that is what I am trying to recover. Anybody know about that green status bar above the scanning green bar? I assume this shows all scanning progress? Man, I feel stupid...duh...back up back up back up keyword: regularly

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.