Recovering data with formatting, SATA HDD from NAS

notoriousTOB

I have a 500g Western Digital drive which has been removed from an otherwise dead NAS device. When I connect the drive to my computer (W7 64bit) it is detected in management but not in My Computer, so as such it is not allocated a drive letter and I cannot simply open it up and browse the files in explorer.

I have used EASUS Data Recovery and it has recovered all of the files, however this method loses all of the file names and organisation. These are 30,000+ files that I don't really fancy reorganising from scratch.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there some way to make the drive readable as is?

Check the permissions of the drive and take ownership:

1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab.
3. Under Group or user names, click your name to see the permissions you have.

To take ownership of a drive:

1. Right-click the drive (in Computer) that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
3. Click Edit. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to (you)
5. Select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
6. Click OK

Unfortunately the drive won't even show up in explorer for me to check the properties, I can only see it in computer management, where it shows up as being online and being entirely unallocated space hence having no drive letter assigned to it.

Is this yours or you bought it used from someone? What happened to the NAS?

As is the drive does not have a file system recognized by Windows. Which means it does not have a table of contents which keeps the proper names of the files. Unfortunately, you will have to rename all your files. Formatting the drive will not recover the file names.

Back