Recovering Encrypted files in windows xp home edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone;
i need help of ur expert technical skills. I installed windows xp professional on my system. one day i installed a software and the system went down so i installed windows xp home. Now they were some files in my e drive which were encrypted when i try to acess them i get a message that i dont have the acess eventhough i was the admisnistaror .Previously i created an administrator account using the name "chintoo" now this time when i installed xp home i created the administrator account in the name " prasanjit". I have located some encrption certicates in the c drive in the location documents and settings/chintoo/application data/microsoft/ system certficates/ my.

Now I went through an article and took the following steps to create a recovery agent

I) Click Start, Run, and type certmgr.msc to open the Certificates console.
2) Then i went to certificates Current User\Personal, and choose Action, All Tasks, and Import to launch the Certificate Import Wizard.
and imported the certicates form the location c drive in the location documents and settings/chintoo/application data/microsoft/ system certficates/ my. these certificates were created when i was using the user name chintoo.

when i was using the user name chintoo i never designated any other user as a recovery agent. so i imported these certicates under the name chintoo.

3)Then i closed the certificate console and tried to open secpol.msc but i got the message " windows cannot find secpol.msc make sure u have typed the correct name " I took this step becuase i wanted to assign the current user name " prasanjit singh" as
a recovery agent this time.

Now the real problem begins here even though i am facing problem with openning secpol.msc if im able to export back the certificate which i imported and stored by the name "chintoo" i will be able to decrypt it with elcomsoft software for data encrption recovery. The problem is whe i try to export back the certificate using the following steps
select [Tools], [Internet Options] and click the [Content] tab.
 Click [Certificates] to open the Certificates dialogue box.
 On the Personal tab, select the certificate which describes itself as the Encrypting File System. There may be more than one certificate, so choose with care.
 Click [Export] to launch the Export Wizard, and then click [Next].
the certificate is not exported along with key asscociated with it all though i have installed the certficate in the trusted root certification authority store in the name of chintoo. all though the certificate has a private key asscociated with it this is the key i want to export along the certificate which i am not able to do so.
sir recovering these files is very important for me as they contain pictures of someone who was once very close to me. i would be obliged by ur expert help.
plz help
warm regards
chintoo
Plz contact me at email removed

XP Home and Pro have different Policies.
Backup your stuff, then re-install XP-Pro and repeat the procedures you described.

SP2 is universal, same for Home or Pro. And it will NOT solve your problem.
You'll need XP-Pro to get to your encrypted files.

You may need SP2 if that was on the original installation, but the minimum requirement is still XP-Pro (with or without SP2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back