Recovery instead of restore point to HP dv 5

By glad2besad
Apr 18, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, My friend lent his HP Pavilion dv 5 to someone recently. They said that they got a blue screen saying "computer just recovered from a serious failure....." So they didn't know what to do and called HP assistance. Were instructed to do a system recovery, which they did. Needless to say now of course it is back to factory settings. I know there must have been a way to fix the problem before reverting to recovery. I do have some experience on computers but I have to ask... Is there any way to restore the laptop so that my friend can get to files, etc.? He has now left his laptop in my care hoping I can help. He has now computer savy what so ever. My best advise to him is...Don't Lend Your Computer Out!!! Any ideas or info I would greatly appreciate. If more info on the HP is needed please let me kno. Thanx :rolleyes:
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

Chances are that the "friend" used a destructive restore... If so, the data is gone
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.