Recurring BSOD halfway through Windows bootup?

BlackScarlet

I got a virus that shut my computer down in a few seconds after a dozen virus warnings. At that point I could not boot up my computer because halfway through the boot process there was a BSOD and it restarted. This happens in normal mode and all of the safe modes.

An interesting thing to note is that at one point safe mode actually worked, at which point i was able to remove the virus and boot back into normal mode. Everything was fine. All my programs worked, all my files were still there, nothing was damaged or missing. In the past I've had viruses wipe all my drives completely, but this time everything was intact, once I got into Windows that one time. All was fine for a day but then I shut down my computer thinking that everything was taken care of, and now I can't reboot it again -- the same bsod issue.

I'm not sure why or how I managed to boot it up that one time -- I didn't do anything special. I'm hesitant to reformat since I know that my windows and my files are all okay, it's just the bootup that's boned, and apparently I got past it once so I'd like to know if I could do it again.

Does anyone know what might be happening? I used the windows installation CD to do a chkdsk but that didn't solve the problem. There was also an option to repair the boot record or something like that, but I did not use it since I didn't know enough about what it does.

I am using Windows XP 32bit, with 4G ram, radeon hd 6850

Any help at all woudl be appreciated -- I really don't want to reformat, what a pain in the ***.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have still got some Malware in your system. Running the start up repair may get it going again and then you could save all your important files to CD/DVD. Keep in mind that you may also be saving the Malware. Malware cannot spread on a CD/DVD but make sure you scan it with several anti virus scanners to make sure you do not reinfect your PC.

Then you have two choices, you could either go to the Malware forum on this site and get help from the experts to make quite sure your PC is clean or do a complete reformat and reinstall of windows which will wipe any remaining Malware from the system.

What virus scanners have you used, these two may clean it up for you but no scanner is 100%.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Download and install the free versions and then update them before running a full system scan.

Back