TechSpot

Red Hat nears $1 billion in revenue

By Matthew
Mar 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. In March 2008, Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst predicted that his company would be the first pure play open source software vendor to reach $1 billion in revenue. That forecast has nearly come to fruition. According to the organization's latest earnings report, Red Hat raked in $909.3 million during fiscal 2011, an increase of 22% on-year. Fourth quarter revenue totaled $244.8 million, up 25% from the year-ago period, while quarterly and yearly subscription revenue rose 21% and 24%.

Read the whole story
  2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 630   +122

Microsoft will notice.

Microsoft will see a threat.

Microsoft will attack.

Also, is the picture for this article intentional?
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,052   +84 Staff Member

4. Lurker101

I thought that was a Red Hat based Fedora joke
  5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Normally I would say 1 billion dollars in revenue is not that much for large companies, given the fact that expenses are not deducted from these numbers... What is always surprising is the actual net income. But what is so surprising about this article is, that I assume the fixed/variable costs of a software engineering company is little in comparison to, say, Toyota.

In other words, I assume the actual income of this company is around, what, 200 million dollars? That's a heck of a lot of money for a bunch people sitting on computers coding stuff (I mean no offense with my simple generalization).
  6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,590   +864

I wouldn't be caught dead in that hat, let alone running Linux.

It looks like something "Tommy Tunes" might wear while playing the lead in, "Casablanca, the Musical"...:rolleyes: Dammit, we still don't have a "smiley licking its pinky and then grooming its eyebrows with it", emoticon.
  7. Lurker101

It's alright, you don't have to wear a hat to run Linux. You don't even have to run a hat based Linux.
  8. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

Well, we here at Techspot are proud Red Hat owners ;)
  9. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,889   +85

Yes we are! ....I have a propeller on mine.
  10. mmm Makes me wish ubuntu would pick up some steam on the company side of things. They have a amazing Linux OS but primary desktop models. I wasn't really a fan of red hat my self then again I'm not a company XD.
  11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,590   +864

Just my luck, running into two season ticket holders to ""Les Miserables"....:p

12. They made as much as Activision selling Black Ops... :/ weird...

Anyway, it seems that Open Source can a lucrative model. Go Red Hat!
  13. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,889   +85

What!? you cant get season tickets to....Oh you minx!:p

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.