TechSpot

red screen on start up since update

By micktrix
Sep 1, 2007
  1. Hi,

I've got a packard bell laptop with windows XP home edition 2002 service pack 2. Since a recent automatic update session from windows the start up screen is now red, the colours when in internet explorer 7 are not clear i.e. the techspot logo is shaded with red.

It is also affecting other small logos on the screen & it is underlineing objects with a red line. Menus in word etc are also surounded by a red line

having said all that pictures are not distorted if viewed in photo editor.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Are we talking about the European version of Packard Bell?Was this an automatic update of Windows, or some other component?
    Since it seems to work otherwise, take a look at the driver in Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager to see if there is a yellow or red flag in the video graphics section?
    I would go to the website of the laptop, to download an install the video graphics driver?
    But it really sounds as if you have a corruption or infestation, or software error. Have you tried running the Windows Boot disk from a cold boot, in Repair mode?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.