TechSpot

Redbox launches $2 per day video game rentals for Xbox 360, Wii, PS3

By Emil
Jun 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. As expected, Redbox today started offering video game rentals at more than 21,000 of its vending machine locations in the US. Renting a video game will set you back $2…

Read the whole story

2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Hopefully the kids, er 34 year olds, have already made up their mind as to what game they want to rent before they get there.

Considering the length and cost of most games these days, you can probably breeze through them in a day or two of dedicated gaming. $4 vs $60. No brainer there.

3. You can rent a game from hastings for the whole week for $7... Some of us have jobs/stuff to do and can't afford to play a game 24/7 to beat it. Personally I'm lucky to finish a 15 hour game in 1 week.

4. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Blockbuster used to do weekly rentals (and then 5-day rentals) for $6.

5. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

Yeah.... :( i didn't read the article, sometimes the headline is enough on techspot :)

Now, my true comment. - i'm a little disappointed with redbox, their selection per machine was like 1-4 per machine. Mostly they were kids games and a majority was Xb360 (inb4 ps3 no games) hopefully this will boost the selection in my local redbox machines.

6. Emil

Emil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 154

Yes, you didn't read the article.

7. herpaderp

herpaderp TS Enthusiast Posts: 159

A whole paragraph apparently.

8. not to plug blockbuster but they give you unlimited days for $13 a month. if i was console gamer i would choose that

for movies redbox is the better deal since most movies suck and I only rent 1-2 per month

9. This news scares me.

What will happen to all the developers that want to focus on a Single Player only game? I'm sure rental stores have additional fees they have to pay to the publishers for rights to offer a game for rental but will it be enough to support those SPonly games?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.