Redbox to launch video streaming service in 2011

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

As reported in July, Redbox has announced plans to partner with an undetermined company to compete alongside established rivals like Netflix in the video streaming business. Although no deals have been inked just yet, Coinstar CEO Paul Davis said Redbox is in "detailed negotiations with a number of highly interested parties" to launch a "Redbox-branded" online service in 2011. Prospective collaborators include Sonic Solutions (the firm behind Blockbuster and Best Buy's streaming service), as well as Amazon and Walmart.

Although the DVD rental service hopes to go digital sometime next year, the company hasn't decided on a subscription model yet. Earlier this year, Redbox asked customers if they'd be interested in a monthly plan that included unlimited video streaming and four DVD rentals for $3.95 -- a bargain to be sure, but again, nothing is set in stone so don't get your hopes up. Despite its foray into streaming, patrons of Redbox's curbside DVD dispensers have nothing to fear. Davis said he sees a "long, profitable life ahead" for the kiosk business.

Permalink to story.

This would be cool. I know of some people who use Redbox already as an offline alternative. An online solution/competitor would be great for everyone.

Cool! I don't know about the rest of you but true HD content streaming streaming (720p/1080p) is important to me, along with a good selection.

Glad to see some competition is coming, although it's not like Netflix's prices are insane, but still any competition is good for the consumer.

Glad to see more competition in this area. I got a chance to use Netflix streaming last weekend and it was awesome.

Healthy competition is great for everyone. I like this idea very much, even though I don't use these types of services. Not enough time for me at the moment.

IAMTHESTIG said:
Cool! I don't know about the rest of you but true HD content streaming streaming (720p/1080p) is important to me, along with a good selection.

Glad to see some competition is coming, although it's not like Netflix's prices are insane, but still any competition is good for the consumer.

Couldn't have said it any better.

I'm glad they plan on keeping the boxes too. I only have 768k internet which doesn't stream movies so well...

competition is always a good thing. if they're gonna charge less than the 8 bucks per month than netflix does, and give me the same good movie streaming, why not?

I am not so keen on video streaming. I dont know whats so special in streamings, whats so fun in it?

I'm not sure redbox really needs to try to compete with netflix. Netflix is a great value. I'm not even sure how Netflix can turn a profit, between buying and replacing broken DVDs and Blu-rays, shipping and handling costs, purchasing rights to rent out content, and maintaining the streaming servers, I just don't know how in the world do you make profit. Netflix is the one service I know of that doesn't need competition. Well... good luck redbox, you'll need it.

If or when Redbox goes public on Wall Street, I'm going to pick up a few shares. I was following Netflix the year it went public and could have bought shares then... now I wish had bought some. Netflix's performance within the past year has been amazing.

Why try and fix what isn't broken? Netflix does everything perfectly, I don't see Redbox being a real competitor of Netflix.

Recipe7 said:
Why try and fix what isn't broken? Netflix does everything perfectly, I don't see Redbox being a real competitor of Netflix.

They're just adding a new service which imo is great. Netflix only had one major competitor and that was Blockbuster whose future is very much in question. Considering Netflix is the Steam of video streaming I don't think we consumers have much to worry about, maybe this will bring more streaming content since compared the DVD's they are lacking.

Wha? I completely disagree! If i were Netflix I would see Redbox as a real threat. They already are in the DVD market.This competition only benefits us; each company will now try to out best each other to have the most movies with the lowest prices. This is great news for movie watchers such as myself!

I use redbox on occasion to get a quick movie for cheap for a night. I'm not keen on subscription services though...

I think this is smart, it widens the customer base a bit. I've never used Redbox because of my Netflix subscription. But I think with streaming I might check it out, see what they have available to stream.

The one downside I ultimately see is that sooner or later you will have some movies get exclusively distributed through either service, which could see some people having to have subscriptions to several different outlets in order to see all the movies they want. Ultimately subscription is the better price model for companies, the majority of low volume users subsidize the high volume users, and help the company be profitable.

This is a great sign for online movie renting- more suppliers indicates that the market is taking off, and suppliers competing with each other always drives prices down for the consumer. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I was offered a job at Coinstar when it was first starting up. I turned it down because it didn't pay quite enough. Man, am I kicking myself now... :(

Honestly, this is a great move for RedBox, but it's a huge investment in the streaming infrastructure, and I don't see them giving the consumer much more than Netflix already does (as far as streaming content). That price is definitely attractive from Redbox, but I would imagine their streaming library will be a bit shallow, at least in the beginning. With Netflix claiming they are moving more towards streaming, and hinting at a lower cost streaming-only subscription soon, it seems like Redbox might stand to make more on the physical media side for a while yet.

I still think a Redbox/Netflix merger would be absolutely ideal for consumers. Stream to your heart's content, have the option of DVDs by mail, or use the kiosks to pickup/return movies. And you get the consumers who don't want the subscription.

ruzveh said:
I am not so keen on video streaming. I dont know whats so special in streamings, whats so fun in it?

The thing is, we live in a time of "I want it and I want it right now." Hence the introduction of the on-demand service. Why bother leaving your house when you can just click a button on the remote or visit a website? It uses gas to go pick up a movie and then return it. And if you forget to return it, you pay for another night. With video streaming, you don't have to go anywhere and there are no late fees. Streaming is a time/money saver.

Sure you can ask "but how many movies am I actually going watch?" You can pay $4 a month for one movie streaming (assuming you only watch a movie a month), or you can pay $1 + tax + gas for the trip both ways for one movie. Either way, it evens out...depending on how far away you live from a redbox kiosk. And of course there are other arguments for and against this, but I can only type so much on my phone before I want to throw it against the wall, lol.

When will an Indian company open such service here in India as Bollywood movies touching new heights every year it is as good as hollywood.

Back