Reddit bans 'alt-right' subreddits for doxing

Scorpus

Staff member

Reddit has banned two high-profile alt-right subreddits over doxing, the act of uncovering and publishing personal information of others without their consent, usually to incite harassment. The two subreddits in question – r/altright and r/alternativeright – have both been inaccessible for the last few hours.

A notice on the r/altright subreddits reads:

This subreddit was banned due to a violation of our content policy, specifically, the proliferation of personal and confidential information.

Reddit elaborated on their decision to ban these subreddits in a statement, which said that both communities repeatedly violated Reddit's terms of service. In particular, publishing personal information is clearly against Reddit's content policy and is grounds for a ban. Reddit's full statement is as follows:

Reddit is the proud home to some of the most authentic conversations online. We strive to be a welcoming, open platform for all by trusting our users to maintain an environment that cultivates genuine conversation and adheres to our content policy.

We are very clear in our site terms of service that posting of personal information can get users banned from Reddit and we ask our communities not to post content that harasses or invites harassment. We have banned r/altright due to repeated violations of the terms of our content policy. There is no single solution to these issues and we are actively engaging with the Reddit community to improve everyone's experience.

The "alt-right" is specific subsection of the political far-right that is mostly made up of white nationalists. People who follow alt-right ideologies are often accused of being racist and xenophobic, and the community has used Reddit to promote these beliefs while harassing those with differing views. Reddit clearly believes this harassment has stepped over the line.

Like most communities banned from Reddit, r/altright posters have already shifted across to Voat, a website almost solely dedicated to preserving discussions deemed too inappropriate for Reddit. So while Reddit has decided to clean up their community and prevent harassment, it won't be too hard for alt-right supporters to continue doxing people through other forums.

Permalink to story.

The "alt-right" is specific subsection of the political far-right that is mostly made up of white nationalists.

Or, if you want a real definition of the alt-right: https://infogalactic.com/info/Alt-right

It would be nice if tech reporters did try to stay within the realm of, you know, tech. Leave the political analysis to those of us not sourcing directly from Buzzfeed and Wikipedia.

The "alt-right" is specific subsection of the political far-right that is mostly made up of white nationalists.

Or, if you want a real definition of the alt-right: https://infogalactic.com/info/Alt-right

It would be nice if tech reporters did try to stay within the realm of, you know, tech. Leave the political analysis to those of us not sourcing directly from Buzzfeed and Wikipedia.

Ha, sourcing infogalactic. That's funny. It's the alt-right news source founded by an alt-righter.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_Day

Of course the alt-right is going to define itself in the best light possible.

There's this place called wikipedia that has far more credibility and is made up of people from all sorts of factions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right

"It would be nice if tech reporters did try to stay within the realm of, you know, tech."

Since when is reddit not tech?

"Leave the political analysis to those of us not sourcing directly from Buzzfeed and Wikipedia."

Yes, we should leave it to people like you who source websites created by people from the alt-right movement. Any dissenting new source is now fake and biased. We all know that websites founded by alt-right members are so honest /s.

Ha, sourcing infogalactic. That's funny. It's the alt-right news source founded by an alt-righter.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_Day

Are you legit citing Wikipedia to ilk and committing a category error while doing so?

Wikipedia's credibility is all marketing. I know people who have wiki pages (though, I don't know Vox). Wiki pages with false information that, when corrected, gets reverted by the SJWs who police the website.

Any dissenting new source is now fake and biased. We all know that websites founded by alt-right members are so honest /s.

Stop projecting.

Both of your arguments come across as flawed, if I'm being honest.

Evern: Wiki is only reliable for more complex/niche scientific topics, mostly because they have no real hint of opinion, are backed up by proved mathematics formulas and/or are policed by people who are familiar in the topics or might even be policed by the original source behind the theory or law. Even then, you should always follow the citation back to the original academic paper; not all journals, universities, or academics are created/respected equally. Even if it reputable, not all studies are created equal either; what does their dataset look like, was their analysis flawed, has anyone successfully replicated their results, did anyone even try to replicate the study?

Anything 'social' on Wikipedia (aside from maybe dates of events in History) is going to be biased simply because it is 'pure opinion'. I feel like I don't need to argue this one at all.

The point is Wikipedia isn't a source - its an encyclopedia, and at it's best its a poorly edited and verified encyclopedia. Use it to find sources (that you critically vet on your own), don't use it as a source.

Davis: Perception is reality. If people perceive the alt-right as white nationalists, then that is what they are for all intents and purposes. If you want the perception to be different, then organize and attend conservative rallies to champion the cause of small government, but also make a point of excluding and denouncing hate groups. Though I suspect at that point people will just call you "republicans". That's not necessarily a bad thing - take back the GOP party from special interests and lobbies. We all know that needs to happen with both the Republicans and the Democrats.

People who follow alt-right ideologies are often accused of being racist and xenophobic
It's the same for lefties, only that they don't care about race or creed, if you think differently they will hang you in the public park and stone you to death.

Perception is reality. If people perceive the alt-right as white nationalists, then that is what they are for all intents and purposes.

This is objectively untrue. If a zebra doesn't perceive the threat of a hungry lion, the threat doesn't magically vanish. If we use this logic, Trump is Hitler because there are people who perceive that. Which makes his supporters Nazis.

Right.

If you want the perception to be different, then organize and attend conservative rallies to champion the cause of small government, but also make a point of excluding and denouncing hate groups.

Leftists have a habit of engaging in a particularly bothersome form of deception. They identify a subset, whether it belongs to the larger set or not, and proceed to rhetorically weaponize that subset against their target group until the target, for fear of being judged by leftists, gives up and concedes the match. It's emotional manipulation.

Take, for example, the alt-right. The alt-right is very easily defined (see http://voxday.blogspot.com/2016/08/what-alt-right-is.html for further detail) and it's members very easily sorted. But, because white nationals happen to be a subset of the philosophy's subscribers, we must be extra vigilant to distance ourselves from them and the movement. Can't be in the same camp as a leftist-identified bad guy, you see.

I call it the disavow game. A leftist or concerned right winger identifies a villain and the rest of us are supposed to rollover and play ball like good little doggies, or else they'll call us names too. They tried it during the campaign and it looks like most people no longer want to play, as the endless charges of isms and phobias against Trump were met with a collective yawn on Nov 8th.

I'm not a conservative and I'm not a part of the alt-right. What I am is tired of left wingers repackaging dishonesty and manipulation as enlightenment and righteousness. And I am doubly tired of their thinly-veiled duplicity of playing the disavow game while remaining all but silent when it's their people burning down communities and beating people in the street.

The correct solution to that problem isn't to attend a bubble (rallies) in the hope that leftists will play fairly. The solution is to destroy their credibility and influence. Which, if current national and international trends are any indication, is happing at a fairly good clip.

This doxing story is safely within the realm of 'nobody cares.'

The correct solution to that problem isn't to attend a bubble (rallies) in the hope that leftists will play fairly.
Good luck with that, they get brain washed by "facts" and "logic" that is based in emotions and because they feel like it, it's righteous and the corporations run by the alt-right are destroying both the people and the world by dominating the economy.

Edit: They will stone you if you try to talk sense into them, this part is for super real. The only ones with a right to protest are them. So the human rights are not right at all, it's human lefts.

This is objectively untrue. If a zebra doesn't perceive the threat of a hungry lion, the threat doesn't magically vanish. If we use this logic, Trump is Hitler because there are people who perceive that. Which makes his supporters Nazis.

That takes this argument to an ideological extreme; Zebras have no concept of reality. They may have instincts, and those instincts do usually lead to their survival, but until something raises the hair on the 'back of the neck', the threat doesn't exist to them. Particularly with a stocking & ambush predator like a lion, which aims to remain 'not a threat' until too late.

Leftists have a habit of engaging in a particularly bothersome form of deception. They identify a subset, whether it belongs to the larger set or not, and proceed to rhetorically weaponize that subset against their target group until the target, for fear of being judged by leftists, gives up and concedes the match. It's emotional manipulation.
I'll agree with you here, but the right is far from innocent when it comes to deploying these tactics. No one side in history has ever been above appealing to an emotional response to get their way.

Take, for example, the alt-right. The alt-right is very easily defined (see http://voxday.blogspot.com/2016/08/what-alt-right-is.html for further detail) and it's members very easily sorted. But, because white nationals happen to be a subset of the philosophy's subscribers, we must be extra vigilant to distance ourselves from them and the movement. Can't be in the same camp as a leftist-identified bad guy, you see.
Forgive me if I don't accept a BlogSpot URL as a definitive authority on what is or is not 'Alt-right'. Right now the media uses Alt-Right to describe neo-Nazis, so as far as the public is concerned, that is what they are. If you want to change this, hold rallies for conservative politics calling yourself 'Alt-Right' and make it undeniable that you are against neo-Nazism. Punching a Nazi in the face on live national television might get the point across - but it is so ingrained that even this might not suffice.

So if the masses has agreed that a certain social terms means one thing, why should they be wrong? It's an opinion at the end of the day, not a mathematics proof.

I call it the disavow game. A leftist or concerned right winger identifies a villain and the rest of us are supposed to rollover and play ball like good little doggies, or else they'll call us names too. They tried it during the campaign and it looks like most people no longer want to play, as the endless charges of isms and phobias against Trump were met with a collective yawn on Nov 8th.
Trump deployed just as many of those phobias about Hillary; a-la "her emails", scandals when she was Sec. of State, and other general (successful) attempts at character assassination. Neither side has the moral high ground, because there is no such thing as a moral high ground.

I'm not a conservative and I'm not a part of the alt-right. What I am is tired of left wingers repackaging dishonesty and manipulation as enlightenment and righteousness. And I am doubly tired of their thinly-veiled duplicity of playing the disavow game while remaining all but silent when it's their people burning down communities and beating people in the street.
Didn't mean to imply that you were, and I apologize for that. When I used "you" in my last post (and in this post), I refer to a hypothetical "you" to keep the language clean - rather than referring to a group of hypothetical "others"

The correct solution to that problem isn't to attend a bubble (rallies) in the hope that leftists will play fairly. The solution is to destroy their credibility and influence. Which, if current national and international trends are any indication, is happing at a fairly good clip.
Those methods of destroying credibility will only perpetuate the cycle. No one is a saint, no one is the devil, but if you spend all your time deifying one person or group and vilifying another, it is only going to come back to bite you later on.

I would say it is safe to say that people who get doxxed, on the left or right, very much care. Be it because they were or are trolls online and fear reprisal, or because they some of the things they do are embarrassing, albeit genuinely harmless. You don't give out the full set of your contact info to every single person you meet, you don't post it online, why should someone else posting it without your permission being something that you shouldn't care about?

On a separate note, you seem to think that I am liberal, bordering on the extreme? I would consider myself pretty center on most issues.

So why are you reading it and commenting on it?

Personally, if someone were disseminating my personal information on a web site like that because I opposed their viewpoint and doing so was a violation of the policies of that web site, then I would want that account banned.

No matter who does it, it is a violation of policy and an attempt to suppress a viewpoint that one does not agree with; in other words, control the discourse through an act that might lead to physical attack, I.e., terror, against an individual because of their viewpoint.

No matter who does it, it is a violation of policy and an attempt to suppress a viewpoint that one does not agree with; in other words, control the discourse through an act that might lead to physical attack, I.e., terror, against an individual because of their viewpoint.

Right wing: "Reddit has banned two high-profile alt-right subreddits over doxing."

Left wing: Violent Leftists Chase and Beat Man Unconscious at Berkeley Riots (http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/02/video-violent-leftists-chase-beat-man-unconscious-berkeley-riots/)

This story only matters to lefties and a handful of moderates who are concerned with potential theoretical danger from anonymous keyboard warriors. The rest of us are trying to avoid mortal harm at the hands of the Orc Armies of Mordor you align yourselves with.

Both of your arguments come across as flawed, if I'm being honest.

Evern: Wiki is only reliable for more complex/niche scientific topics, mostly because they have no real hint of opinion, are backed up by proved mathematics formulas and/or are policed by people who are familiar in the topics or might even be policed by the original source behind the theory or law. Even then, you should always follow the citation back to the original academic paper; not all journals, universities, or academics are created/respected equally. Even if it reputable, not all studies are created equal either; what does their dataset look like, was their analysis flawed, has anyone successfully replicated their results, did anyone even try to replicate the study?

Anything 'social' on Wikipedia (aside from maybe dates of events in History) is going to be biased simply because it is 'pure opinion'. I feel like I don't need to argue this one at all.

The point is Wikipedia isn't a source - its an encyclopedia, and at it's best its a poorly edited and verified encyclopedia. Use it to find sources (that you critically vet on your own), don't use it as a source.

Davis: Perception is reality. If people perceive the alt-right as white nationalists, then that is what they are for all intents and purposes. If you want the perception to be different, then organize and attend conservative rallies to champion the cause of small government, but also make a point of excluding and denouncing hate groups. Though I suspect at that point people will just call you "republicans". That's not necessarily a bad thing - take back the GOP party from special interests and lobbies. We all know that needs to happen with both the Republicans and the Democrats.

I'm not saying wiki is perfect, only that it is better than infogalactic. Yes, opinion leaks onto wikipedia but that is a far cry from infogalactic, which was founded by a huge alt-right supporter.

"The point is Wikipedia isn't a source - its an encyclopedia"

An encyclopedia is a source of sources. It does not provide the original content but it gathers and collocates it. It's much easier to link a wikipedia page because it already has the source links ready to go.

It's true. The mainstream media coined Alt-right racist just like pepe the Frog! Tecspot sucks these days. Im out!

No matter what ways you try to "distance" yourself from neo-Nazis, your side of the political spectrum will always be associated with them. That is something you can't change, and I guess you'll just have to deal with being the in the same boat as them.

Right wing: "Reddit has banned two high-profile alt-right subreddits over doxing."

Left wing: Violent Leftists Chase and Beat Man Unconscious at Berkeley Riots (http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/02/video-violent-leftists-chase-beat-man-unconscious-berkeley-riots/)

This story only matters to lefties and a handful of moderates who are concerned with potential theoretical danger from anonymous keyboard warriors. The rest of us are trying to avoid mortal harm at the hands of the Orc Armies of Mordor you align yourselves with.
Personally, I think TS would have reported on it even if it was "lefties," as you derogatorily refer to them, did this and got banned. Even it if said, "lefties" in the title, I would have read the article. As I see it, you don't tread on the personal details of anyone else.

As to who you ally yourself with, that is your business. If you want to ally yourself with fantasy, no one can stop you. Perhaps you should investigate indigenous spirituality as it might expand your horizons.

It's true. The mainstream media coined Alt-right racist just like pepe the Frog! Tecspot sucks these days. Im out!
Happy trails to you!

No matter what ways you try to "distance" yourself from neo-Nazis, your side of the political spectrum will always be associated with them. That is something you can't change, and I guess you'll just have to deal with being the in the same boat as them.

Except that national socialism is a left wing ideaology. Which is why we get called Nazis while leftists act like them.

The rest of us are trying to avoid mortal harm at the hands of the Orc Armies of Mordor you align yourselves with.
I used to work with a guy who told me, "If I go downtown, I'll get murdered." I will never forget that he said that. The irony, from my viewpoint, is that during the time I was working with him, I went downtown, every day, on foot, and spent at least 10 or 20 minutes there as I waited for the connecting public transportation to get to the place where we both worked. I did that for something like three or four years, and this was some 15-years ago. I am still alive.

From my viewpoint, as Franklin D. Roosevelt said in his inaugural address, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

A bit of disclosure from me:
My paternal grandparents immigrated from the Ukraine in 1918 - why? Czars.

My maternal grandparents immigrated from Germany in 1928 - why? Hitler.

Personally, I think TS would have reported on it even if it was "lefties," as you derogatorily refer to them, did this and got banned. Even it if said, "lefties" in the title, I would have read the article. As I see it, you don't tread on the personal details of anyone else.

As to who you ally yourself with, that is your business. If you want to ally yourself with fantasy, no one can stop you. Perhaps you should investigate indigenous spirituality as it might expand your horizons.
Happy trails to you!

See, that's one of the alt-right's mistakes. They claim to not be bigoted but then go and generalize their entire opposition as lefties. We are talking about literally anyone.

Now we know that every alt-right member isn't a nationalist / bigot. What we do know is that the movement was created by a nationalist / anti-semetic / white power / ect man. Due to that, the agenda of the alt-right is bigoted and everyone taking part in the movement is contributing to that.

As an example, Muslim ban will likely only stir American hate, none of these ridiculous policies have been effective nor have any terrorists came from any of the banned countries to the US. If you were at least going for the safety of the US, you would make sure to ban countries that actually produced terrorists that attacked america. America already has a program in place that tracks Muslin immigrants and forces them to check in periodically. Out of the 284,000 that have gone through , zero have been terrorists.

Happy trails to you!

See, that's one of the alt-right's mistakes. They claim to not be bigoted but then go and generalize their entire opposition as lefties. We are talking about literally anyone.

Now we know that every alt-right member isn't a nationalist / bigot. What we do know is that the movement was created by a nationalist / anti-semetic / white power / ect man. Due to that, the agenda of the alt-right is bigoted and everyone taking part in the movement is contributing to that.

As an example, Muslim ban will likely only stir American hate, none of these ridiculous policies have been effective nor have any terrorists came from any of the banned countries to the US. If you were at least going for the safety of the US, you would make sure to ban countries that actually produced terrorists that attacked america. America already has a program in place that tracks Muslin immigrants and forces them to check in periodically. Out of the 284,000 that have gone through , zero have been terrorists.
Breath of fresh air in that. I agree. I also see one more effect: It gives those who supported him a feeling of security - someone is looking out for them and protecting them.

And you think I am not just as incensed about that? Violence is the way of the chicken sh!t, and if it keeps up, it just might give 45 a reason to declare martial law.

Breath of fresh air in that. I agree. I also see one more effect: It gives those who supported him a feeling of security - someone is looking out for them and protecting them.

Exactly, I had a nice conversation with an alt-right supporter yesterday and they said they supported the ban because it would make America safer. I pointed out the famous Benjamin Franklin quote

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

The correct solution to that problem isn't to attend a bubble (rallies) in the hope that leftists will play fairly.
Good luck with that, they get brain washed by "facts" and "logic" that is based in emotions and because they feel like it, it's righteous and the corporations run by the alt-right are destroying both the people and the world by dominating the economy.

Edit: They will stone you if you try to talk sense into them, this part is for super real. The only ones with a right to protest are them. So the human rights are not right at all, it's human lefts.
As I see it, both sides, or, perhaps it is more broadly termed the unstable or insecure, are swayed by the emotional aspects. Neither side is immune.

I love when alt-right scumbags link to alt-right propaganda sites that masquerade to look like a Wikipedia page almost. I also love the "dog whistle" in the very first paragraph where Donald Trump's name and ambitions are used to describe the alt-right in a clear attempt to let alt-right visitors know they're in the right place.

Back