Reducing Power Consumption of PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultiweap

Hello all of you,

Since some month ago I see that my Electricity Bill is growing up due to PC Consumption and I was wondering to know if there is a program that may help to reduce the hardware watt usage to reduce the bill. I already install a program call Local Cooling that help me to put my PC in sleep mode etc... that normally I can do with Windows Vista but me I would like to know if there is one for reducing the hardware usage itself as example the HDD, Processor, Graphic Card, Sound Card and so on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm in Mauritius so not the same currency but the billing has grown up to 20% and during this period I use a little more my PC. But I wonder to know if there is a mean to make my hardware use less electricity when not needed too much.

You could underclock your processor. Or buy more efficient hardware, thats about it. Other than that just set things to go to sleep after shorter periods of inactivity. But that will increase wear if you are continually waking it up from sleep, so you'll want to find a balance. And physically turn off your monitor when you are done rather than letting it idle in a sleep mode.

I'm in Mauritius so not the same currency but the billing has grown up to 20% and during this period I use a little more my PC. But I wonder to know if there is a mean to make my hardware use less electricity when not needed too much.
Aside from obvious stuff like turning off the lights at home ect...using less computer time is the most cost effective way. You could upgrade to more efficient hardware, but that probably costs more than you save.
Now you could under clock your processor, and pull the graphics card out (as long as you have integrated graphics).

Ok I would like to know how to underclock my processor but for the graphic card i'm already using an integrated graphic card.

You could underclock your processor. Or buy more efficient hardware, thats about it. Other than that just set things to go to sleep after shorter periods of inactivity. But that will increase wear if you are continually waking it up from sleep, so you'll want to find a balance. And physically turn off your monitor when you are done rather than letting it idle in a sleep mode.

I don't understand well what you mean by that?

If I set my hard drives to go to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, and I frequently come back to my PC to check something every 30 minutes or an hour, I'm waking up the drives each time. So they have to spin up from 0 rpm to 5400 or 7200 rpm. That puts wear on the drives. So you'd want to set it to go to sleep sometime after 30 minutes so when you come back you aren't forcing the drives to spin back up. Maintaining 7200rpm is far easier on the drives than going from 0-7200 a few times a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back