Reel to reel to cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

Does anyone have any experience with recording old tape to CD.

My dad has a lot of old tapes (recordings of old fishermen telling stories etc) and wants to transfer to cd as the old tape is deteriorating.

We have downloaded some freebie stuff that is not very good, he is practiceing (that spelling looks wrong) with a normal casette as he has yet to locate a reel to reel that works.

We manage to get the casette to play through the sound card line in and play through the speakers but not record.

I have Nero wave editor but have never used it. Would it do the job.

Help save some history.

if you have an audigy sound card like me, it comes with a program called "sound recorder".
open the program, select "analog mix" or "what u hear" from the menu (labeled sth like "record from"... but you'll know once you see it ;) )
then connect everything up so that you play the cassette through your sound card and out your speakers. then click the "record" button. when the song ends, you have to manually press "stop".
then it'll let you name the file.
but it'll be saved in .wav format, which is very big (50+meg for a 5 min song). i'm not sure if you can burn a .wav file into an audio CD directly or not (no experience). but if you can't, or want to store it on the HDD, then you should change it to an MP3 format.
again, launch the incredibly buggy "playcenter" (came with the audigy) and load up your song. right click on its name, and you'll see an option called "WAV to MP3". then you just click it, and voila... all is done! :D
all the process should be very easy and straight forward. :)

i presume the old Live! series have playcenter and sound recorder too. it think it should have these options as well.

but if you don't have these cards/programs:
i think window's "sound recorder" could also record sounds into .wav formats. then you could search for some free software that could convert wav files into mp3s.

Window$ has its own Sound Recorder, too. It can do that basic recording but it won't reduce any snap, crackle & pop sounds from those.

If you have Windows XP you can get the Digital Media Edition add-on thing, I have it, it comes with a special recording program that converts it into digital audio, and is supposed to remove all the crackles and pops and stuff, it is also supposed to automatically cut the tape down to each track(you know like on a cd, track 1, track 2..etc..) This sounds like what you need! And it only costs $15, I got it fo $5 cause it was on sale...:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back