TechSpot

REFIt Problems - Can't boot into Snow Leopard

By Deathstar17
Jan 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. So my situation is as follows. I have a MBP running Snow Leopard (10.6.6) and Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I use rEFIt as my boot manager and it has worked flawlessly until now. A few days ago I shut down my computer from the windows side and I had my external hard drive connected. I don’t think I did the safely eject hardware routine and just shut it off instead. When I went to boot into the Mac side from rEFIt I got the following screen:

rEFIt – Booting OS
    Starting boot.efi
    efiboot loaded from device
    boot file path: \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
    .Loading kernel cache file ‘System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\kernelcachei386.4C132DCE’
    Couldn’t get file info.
    Loading ‘mach kernel’…
    …Couldn’t get file info.
    Error loading kernel ‘mach-kernel’ (0xe)
    Error: Aborted returned from boot.efi

From there I can press any key to return to the rEFIt boot selection screen. At first I wasn’t even able to boot into the windows side unless I had my external hard drive connected. This brings up my next problem. I have a partition on my external hard drive that contains Snow Leopard that I been able to boot into in the past but it is no longer recognized by rEFIt or by Apple’s bootloader (when I hold down option at startup). Instead, rEFIt thinks it is a Windows install. Also, I do not have the Snow Leopard disc.
    What can/should I do?
    Thanks!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.