Reformat XP, No Device Drivers, no sound and clunky video

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradX

This problem seems to appear alot, but none of the previously stated fixes seem to fix my problem.

After I formatted the hard drive and installed a new XP, my video is real clunky when scrolling web pages, and more importantly I have no sound.

My Display Devices identifies nothing.
My Sound Devices identifies nothing.

I am relaly lost for what to do. Something I saw in another thread was to change some settings in the BIO;s (or something) I altered drivers to Plug n Play (I think) but that doesnt alter anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Just remember I have no Driver CD's and Windows Update is not helpful for me.

Also, I attached some info that a previous thread was beneficial.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    34.3 KB · Views: 13
Sorry. Complete novice here.
I have misplaced ALL my computer information and installation CD's etc.
How do I check the motherboard information? is it not in the attachment of the previous post?

I appreciate the help.

Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

thanks. i actually ran that program, but didnt attach teh information.
I'm at work now, so do that when I get home tonight.

but just so i can help myself though rather than bothering people here again, once I have the motherboard information will it be a case of going to their website and they will have device drivers there for me to download? or is there more to it than that?

What you're describing is generally what happens when you format a machine with a bare copy of XP. No video drivers (well, no good video drivers - thus the clunky scrolling), no NIC drivers, no sound drivers, basically nothing. XP installs with the bare essentials to get you going.

Turbo1, where did you pull this >ASUS M2N-MX SE< from? I can't find even the word ASUS anywhere other than your post. Unless I'm being completely stupid.

Brad, do what Lookin' has said and and then go to your motherboard manufacturers website, find your model and look for support, drivers and downloads whatever. The main drivers you'll be looking for are video and sound. You should be able to find the video drivers on your motherboards website because it looks to me like you have an integrated video solution judging the amount of RAM you available.

I assume you already have network drivers installed? "my video is real clunky when scrolling web pages" How did you get the network drivers? From my experience XP has never installed any sort of network driver for me and you mentioned you have no driver CDs...

Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Turbo1, where did you pull this >ASUS M2N-MX SE< from? I can't find even the word ASUS anywhere other than your post. Unless I'm being completely stupid.

nAh,i just made a quick reply since BradX's dxdiag report doesnt show
the system model of his motherboard.i took it from his BIOS information,
my friends other machine has the same BIOS too.and its ASUS M2N-MX SE (i might be
wrong here).that's why im asking BradX if he can recall his motherboard model,
if confirmed ASUS M2N-MX SE,then i can point him to the drivers without downloding
any software to check the system/hardware informations.

LookinAround just posted the guide on how to get the system/hardware informations,so
lets just wait and see.:)

My My, arent we a clever boy.
Yes it is ASUS MSN-MX SE, lol

Im about to get the drivers now.

Thanks everyone!

Hmm, Asustek doesnt seem to identify a need for a video driver,
Do any of you guys have a quick link to a video driver, or are they listed under a different name?
(sorry, i am beginning to feel more and more useless as this thing goes on!)

If you look at the back of your computer. Where does the video cable plug in, (cable running from your monitor to the back of your PC) does it look more like 1 or 2...

.. paint FTW.

If it looks like 1, try searching for these drivers "Integrated GeForce 6100 GPU"

Attachments

• PC.JPG
    PC.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 6
VICTORY!
No more clunky video. Thanks so much guys, you are life savers!

one last question. When I went to Asus, it ran a program to identify what my computer needed or was compatible for. It returned with a list of various files under the following subheadings with in some cases numerous files under each heading:

Qualified Vendor List
BIOS
BIOS-Utility
Chipset
AUDIO (received for my successful audio driver)
Utilities
Other
Manual

I was wondering if I am best off to download and install all of these files regardless (i.e. they can only make things better) or if I should best just leave it for when things start to noticeably go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back