Reformatted computer needs unknown drivers

cookiesandjuice

So my computer is really old, and I decided to reformat it. The trouble is, I only have the disks for the Samsung Syncmaster 753DF monitor driver, the motherboard, and Windows XP Home. After I reformatted the disk, the monitor has horrible resolution, and cannot connect to the internet. Tried to install the driver for the monitor, and it didn't run because Macromedia Projector crashed. I didn't unplug anything, and before the reformatting the resolution was fine, and I could connect to the internet with an Ethernet connection via a router.

In Device Manager it says I'm missing drivers for:
Ethernet Controller
the sound card/system
the video card/adapter

As well, I'm really clueless when it comes to this stuff, and it was my first time reformatting a disk, so I did not back-up the drivers. Luckily I backed up the pictures, files, etc. Went to the Dell website, to see if there were any drivers for the Dell OptiPlex GX260. The downloads there were only fixes - additions to drivers supposed to be on my PC

Here are the original specs of the computer, fresh from the factory.
Quantity Parts # Part Description
1 2R433 Printed Wiring Assembly, Planar, GX260845G, Audio/Visual, GIGAHERTZ NETWORK INTERFACE CARD/CONTROLLERS...
1 3K363 Processor, 80531, 1.8GB, 0, 400FSBSocket N, D0
1 8133Y Keyboard, 105, 6P, Can-BI, NMB..., MIDNIGHT GRAY...
1 0797R System Integration, Fee, Integration, #3
1 7J376 Hard Drive, 20G, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS) ..., 1N, 7.2K, 40G/P, Maxtor Viper
1 419TG Display, Multiscan, Color, 17, DUAL..., E771, Midnight Gray, Dell Americas Organization
1 1R920 Card, Graphics, ATI TECHNOLOGIES INC..., Radeon, Low Profile, Memory
1 5E911 Assembly, Cable, Video, ATI TECHNOLOGIES INC..., Radeon, Video Graphics Adapter
1 735HE Mouse, PERSONAL SYSTEM 2..., 6P, 2 Button, Wheel 1.3A, MICROSOFT..., MIDNIGHT GRAY...
1 5120P Cord, Power, 125V, 6Feet, SJT..., Unshielded
1 1F756 Kit, Software, Overpack, Windows 2000 Professional, SP2, F5 English
1 8N275 Compact Disk Drive, 128K, I, F5 48X, LENGTH/LONG..., 8481B, CHASSIS 2001...
1 1K304 Floppy Drive1.44M, 3.5" FORM FACTOR..., 3MD, No Bezel, TEAC..., V3, CHASSIS 2001...
1 3K113 Dual Inline Memory Module, 256, 266M, 32X64M8K, 184
1 6D236 Pad, Mouse, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION..., INSTANT WRITE...

Note that I have a different monitor and printer (HP Laserjet 1012) for the computer now. I guess I need a driver for the printer too. At least my keyboard (different from above) and Logitech mouse work. I am really stuck on how to solve my situation, so thanks in advance.

If you haven't already, try using the service tag number to locate the specific drivers for your Dell PC. The service tag should be a sticker somewhere on the outside of the case.

Intel Chipset first

cookiesandJuice,
We have had a lot of Dells in the past and what you really need is the Resource CD. since you apparently don't have it, start with the chipset driver. You can find that at:
http://tinyurl.com/2wzmq42
The video card may be a little more difficult as the Optiplex GX260 had several options for video cards.
If you are using the integrated card then it is probably The Intel 82845 and if it is not then it's probably a Radeon 7500 unless it wsas upgraded.
Dell Video drivers for XP are at:
http://tinyurl.com/39mtxya

Thanks for the replies guys.
I tried entering my Service Tag. I'm really confused though.. the downloads provided for my computer, narrowed down from 80, seem to mostly be "Optional" fixes.
For example, there was one update for something called Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio. This "improves sound quality." And I think the sound system on the computer was called "SoundMAX Digital Audio."
From what I can remember, I think the video driver was an ATI Radeon 7500. and no, I don't have the Resource CD.
Thanks. I'd appreciate some feedback before I move on with your instructions, because I'm still slightly confused.
PS: As well, under all the results for the Dell OptiPlex GX260, the Driver download for 32MB ATI Radeon 7500 is listed as an Optional download. It's a fix/enhancement, not the whole driver, apparently.

Let me know your service tag and I'll hunt out the drivers you need mate.

Thanks so much! And I'm quite sure that I didn't upgrade or change the hardware, haha.
I'll burn the downloads onto the disk and install them on the Dell right away.
PS: Still, I'm kind of unsure about the graphics card. I'm fairly certain now that it's an ATI Radeon 7500. Should I download the Intel driver?

No worries dude. :)

This obviously assumes you haven't changed hardware, and your service tag is correct. But once the drivers are installed all should be well. :)

If the video driver is incorrect, you'll still have network, so windows update will maybe pull the correct one in anyway. :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!1!! I'm so happy right now I can scream!
Everything works!
Now all I have to do is restore the media files, and the applications, and it's ready for use, fit as a fiddle!
Have a good day, all!!

No worries. Remember to label the disk you used, then you'll never have the problem again. :)

Sorry, one last thing.

So everything is going fine and dandy, except for the fact Microsoft Office is gone. Ah well, I'll just use Open Office.
However, I have another computer I wish to reformat, and I'd like to know how to back-up drivers.
Any advice would be nice, so thanks.

I would just hunt the drivers down and do it the same way you did before. If you have the drivers CD then they'll be on there. Let us know what disks you have for this other computer.

Let us know the exact make and model, and if its a Dell its service tag and we'll help you find the drivers. We'll also need to know your Operating system on that computer too.

As for MS office; Its seperate software to the operating system. You should have a disk somewhere, with its serial number. If not, OpenOffice is a very good alternative for occasional office users.

Here's some thoughts and [post=818014]steps to prepare before doing a full reinstall[/post].

As to driver backup, Double Driver is a newer, cool tool (haven't used it yet, but several have recommended it. I took a quick look... and looks like be quite useful)

Thank you for all the help. Because this other computer does not use a Dell CPU (it just uses a Dell monitor), would it still be best to reinstall the drivers? Otherwise, I will do my best to follow LookinAround's guide.

Note: As well, if it's not too much trouble, I'm fairly certain I do not have the Office 2003 disk. Is it possible to backup the Office software?

Other computer's specs
System: WinFast 6100M2MA (x86) (I believe I have a WinFast disk lying around)
Sound: Realtek AC97 Audio
Video: Nvidia GeForce 6100
AMD Sempron Processor 3000+

Thank you for all the help. Because this other computer does not use a Dell CPU (it just uses a Dell monitor), would it still be best to reinstall the drivers? Otherwise, I will do my best to follow LookinAround's guide.
When you reinstall XP on any computer (regardless of who makes it) the common problem people discover after the reinstall is many drivers aren't included on the XP install CD so many people have problems locating and reinstalling their drivers.

Especially when the network driver is missing, the process becomes a real pain since you can't get on the internet to look

Sooo...
1. recommend you first back up all the drivers onto a USB flash drive or hard drive on the Winfast computer using Double Driver (in addtion to all your normal other backups)
2. Then reinstall XP on the Winfast computer
3. After reinstall Windows will reboot and complain of missing drivers. In fact, it will probably pop-up the Windows New Hardware wizard to help find things
4. Now you can tell the New Hardware Wizard via its prompts that you have the disk and point it to the your USB flash drive with all the drivers

Once all drivers are installed you can (at your option) look for newer ones if you want

Note: As well, if it's not too much trouble, I'm fairly certain I do not have the Office 2003 disk. Is it possible to backup the Office software?
Unfortunately, no. You would need an Office 2003 CD to reinstall. But I would still be sure to run ProduKey (per my instructions) to save the Office 2003 product key so if you find/borrow an installation for Office 2003 you still have your valid key you can re-use

As a side note @Leeky:

Check out the Double Driver tool sometime. Take a look at the backup folders and note that each of the driver backup folders it creates, includes each driver's INF file along with the cat, sys, and other files needed for the the driver to install.

So...
1) when the New Hardware Wizard opens up, point it to the folder with the driver's INF file for what the Wizard is currently trying to install OR

2) An alternate method: Simply go to the driver backup folder you want, rt click on the INF file, select Install. Windows now installs that driver. Once installed, one may need to reboot for windows to re-detect any devices (needing the new driver) and then Windows will re-attempt device installation and should now find and load the driver for it automatically.. now the device install should hopefully work :)

@LookinAround;
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to have a look at it when I get a few minutes. :)

It certainly sounds a much easier way of sorting the correct drivers out!

Thanks, everybody.

I'll keep tabs on this thread, but I'm extraordinarily busy at the moment, so I'll put off the reformatting until a later time.
Thank you two for all your support; take care.

I need help, similar problem

Hey, I recently reformatted my dell pc, gx260 service code GJ0BL21, and i have the same issue. My device manager states that I have 3 unknown devices, 1 ethernet controller, 1 video controller, and 1 video controller (vga compatible)... I am running xp sp3, and I have attempted to downlaod the drivers off dell's webpage but no success, please help me. :'(

Hey, I recently reformatted my dell pc, gx260 service code GJ0BL21, and i have the same issue. My device manager states that I have 3 unknown devices, 1 ethernet controller, 1 video controller, and 1 video controller (vga compatible)... I am running xp sp3, and I have attempted to downlaod the drivers off dell's webpage but no success, please help me. :'(

You should really start your own thread mate, otherwise the posts above are going to confuse those that could be helping you.

Please start a new thread, and could you also explain in what way your having no success with the Dell supplied drivers as well, e.g. are they failing to download, or are they for the wrong OS etc?

Finding the right drivers.....

You know about the 'right click' on each problem driver in Device manager?
You will get the 'update driver' option, as long as you are on the net.
But the version you get of each driver seems always to be an old one.... so,
I have used the free program 'Drivereasy' which will scan and find the latest versions.
Note that you have to choose if you want to install each one from the list it makes.
It works for me. When you have got it all working, use the program 'Doubledriver' by boozet, it will back up all the drivers that are not part of windows install disc.
Be sure to save them off your C: drive to a flash stick or cd, in case you need to re format C:.
Hope that is of use,, apologise if it's all known to you!

Back