Reformatting to Windows 7

terry5880

Hi looking to upgrade dell inspiron 1545 from vista to windows 7 as its the latest out . but drive is split to c and d shows vista on d so do i just need to delete d then install win 7 on d . if yes would i lose all stuff on laptop thanks in advance

Disk C will contain your Windows installation. The second partition (disk D) will most likely contain your personal data, assuming your using it for that.

As long as your second partition does not include software installations for your first partition (which contains your OS) then you are good to go.

You have two options:

1. Move all personal data to D, and keep this partition, and format C to install Windows 7. This will keep your existing D partition intact, along with your personal data, but will delete Windows Vista.
2. Move all your personal data to C (or back it up onto removable media), and install Windows 7 to partition D. This will mean you can dual boot Vista and 7, but will give you no partition for personal storage.

I'd personally go with option 1.

Also, your laptop may well have a recovery partition that is hidden in Windows. It will show itself in the Windows installer though -- if you want the possibility to re-install Vista at a later date you need to leave this alone. Its removal will prevent you using Dell's integrated system recovery to restore factory settings, if your laptop has this feature.

Back