Reformatting too much?

abe10tiger

Ok, I know that this is a dumb question but i'm really curious.

What happens if you reformat your PC too much because you think that it is the only way of fixing the problem you have in your pc?

For me, it sounds like a bad idea to reformat your pc every time you have a problem that you can fix yourself.

Just Wondering.

I think you'd have to re-format continually to actually wear out the hard disk, or cause damage, but I'm not 100% certain - I'd love to hear the real answer though. :)

Nobody I know likes reformatting and only resorts to it as the last measure after all other less onerous attempts at restoring operation have failed. As such, it would be a rare event and I therefore see the question, if I understand it correctly, as purely academical, at best.

Far more damage to the disk would be caused e.g. by defragmentation which, if we follow standard advice, should be carried out monthly. But at the same time it saves disk wear and tear by placing fewer demands on it during normal operation. Consequently, I see disk scans, as in deep anti-malware scans, in massive backups, during searching for files or disk checking, as primary candidates for shortening disk life.

Probably the best guides for judging disk stress thru overworking is by listening to it work intensively and estimating the time this lasts.

Nobody I know likes reformatting and only resorts to it as the last measure after all other less onerous attempts at restoring operation have failed. As such, it would be a rare event and I therefore see the question, if I understand it correctly, as purely academical, at best.

Even I don't like reformatting especially if I don't get to back up the files that I need!
Thanks for the replies btw. :D

Back