TechSpot

Refuse box

By swiftflo
Sep 21, 2009
  1. Recently attempted to carry out the proceedure to remove the refuse box from the desktop. Cocked it up and now the toolbar does not work as it should. Is there any way that I can reverse the attempted proceedure without a reinstall.

Thanks.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Run your Windows disk, selecting R for Repair Mode, not Repair Console. It will replace the Windows stuff without touching your files. You will have to reinstall some Windows Updates.

3. ok wait so how do should i under stand this firstly what is a regfuse box and secondly you mean your windows toolbar?

4. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Sin, there's probably an easier way to add or remove the Recycling Box. Also, the windows repair doesn't correct the windows registry and that's likely where the problem is.

I'd try a System Restore first. This is quick and more like what will fix your problem.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

-- Andy

5. swiftflo

swiftflo TS Rookie Topic Starter

This was the first thing I tried, but it does not work.

6. swiftflo

The refuse box is of course "Recycle Bin", Toolbar is the quick launch bar along the bottom or sometimes either side of the screen.

7. almcneil

8. swiftflo

Sorry it's not that I haven't got the Recycle Bin, I have. The problems is the ToolBar/Quick launch bar does not work as it should after my cockup trying the mod to the Recycle Bin as detailed earlier.

9. almcneil

Well then, time to create a new user account and move all your files over to the new one. First, create the new account and see that the toolbar works properly. If it does then copy your files over and set it up as per your original account.

-- Andy

10. hey i never said that solution i was wondering whats the refuse box is :)

11. swiftflo

Thanks guy's all working okay now.

12. almcneil

What did you do?

-- Andy

13. Yeah i want to know who won this "helpful argument" :)

14. swiftflo

To be honest I don't really know, I just kept having a play then it all came right.

15. lol wow thats weird i hate it when things like that happen... at least when all thing go wrong instead of right :)

16. swiftflo

I thought it was weird but it works now. As I said I messed around with it so much that I really don't know what I did to get it right. As you say lol.

17. Awesome ;) at leats you got it to work

18. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Sometimes a simple reboot fixes those strange things!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.