Regarding Windows XP SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy45

I am having problems with checking for updates & here is the error:

"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

So let me know ASAP so I can check for the lastest updates for my computer.

Maybe just overload on MS site - there are 7 new critical patches due Tuesday.

I see gbhall I will let you know if I can download & install these critical patches & anything else that needs installing.

well I am getting the following message either using Firefox or IE 8:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

What happens if you click on Start / help and support center / windows update (under pick a task) It normally starts IE7 or whatever your MS browser is, regardless of whether that is the specified default browser under control panel / internet options / programs. IF there is some problem (like several services not starting/disabled then after a while MS update will stop and give you a very complete list of things that might be wrong.

As that message you quoted makes clear - it is true you no longer have to use IE6/7/8 to get updates if you start via that route, but you DO need active-X enabled and various services.

Unfortunately, it won't tell you one thing that could be wrong - that you have a malware infestation.

To be perfectly honest, I would bend every nerve to uninstall IE8 and reinstall IE7 then set firefox as default browser. IE8 is widely regarded as a very poor huge pile of c**p

Be sure you are using Internet Explorer 6.1 or higher, preferably Internet Explorer 7.0 or 8.0...
Microsoft will install nothing well while you are using Firefox... regardless of what the message says...
Microsoft is running record numbers of updates today... another reason to be patient and use IEu7 or 8.
You can go back to Firefox when you are done.

I would clarify one thing... be sure to note the wording in MS's statement
If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:
Which means you're perfectly welcome to use FF get your updates BUT it means YOU gotta pick and choose your updates and download want you want yourself (just like you pick and choose any other download using FF)

However you must use IE if you want (the extra advantage of having) MS search your computer to automatically select your needed updates (in addition to performing the downloads)

All that said, click Start->Run, enter services.msc look at Names column
>> Is WindowsUpdate have StartupType=Automatic? (then is ok)
>> Is Background Intelligent Transfer have StartupType=Automatic or Manual (then is ok)

Next click the StartupType column header so you see all your Windows services with startuptype=Automatic services listed together. Now eyeball the Status column. Anything appear with Status=Stopped when StartupType=Automatic (means potential problem). If so, tell me which services

/* EDIT */
and just fyi.. if you're finding alot of services in the problem condition just described (including Windows Update, System Restore and other key services) is an excellent indicator you have a malware infection

/* EDIT2 */
Easiest way run MS update from IE, is click IE icon to start it. The click Tools->Windows Update

well guys I was wondering which spyware problem can detects this spyware so let me know, so I uninstall IE8 and restart my computer and still it doesn't work in Firefox 3.0.11 or IE6 so why is this happening?

also WindowsUpdate is is set automatic & Background Intelligent Transfer is set automatic, also I try using Help & Support to check for updates and same story, so why is this happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back