1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

"regedit' or taskmgr it says its already in use by another program

By florio169 ยท 5 replies
Feb 11, 2007
  1. Can someone help me or direct me to the right place.

When i GO to start and run "regedit' or taskmgr it says its already in use by another program

also when i hit ctrl+alt+delete it does nothing

what do i do??

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Your problem may be caused by an infection of some description.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

If it turns out your system is infected, I`ll move this thread to the Security forum.

Regards Howard :)

P.S. I`ve changed your thread title to something more descriptive. Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

3. florio169

florio169 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have no idea what that means

4. howard_hopkinso

Click on the blue link in my post above(where is says HERE) and follow the instructions in the thread that appears.

What I`m saying is your computer may very well be infected with a virus etc.

Once I`ve seen your HJT log, I`ll have a better idea of what`s wrong and hopfully, how it can be fixed.

5. florio169

florio169 TS Rookie Topic Starter

its not infected what do i do

6. howard_hopkinso

Do yourself a favour and post the HJT log I requested. I`ll let you know whether your system is infected or not. Personally, I think it probably is, as I`ve seen your problem lots of times. If it turns out it isn`t infected, we`ll look at other possibilities.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.