TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Region code limit?

By yangly18
Jan 4, 2010
  1. So I'm stationed over here in the great UK, where their region coding is different from the US, so if I decide that i would like to watch a UK coded movie, I have to change the region code on my drive. It has a limit on it, as most of you guys prob know, I'm just wondering if there is a way to get rid of this limit, or is this unchangable?? I'm not exactly looking for any type of crack or anything, just gen. information.

thanks a bunch :D

edit: Would using a differnet player like VLC or winDVD fix this? perhaps a codec that can help me out O.o?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,581   +655

hmm; I seem to recall the limit is FOUR.

a) If you stay in the UK for a while, just make the change and enjoy the local movies.
    When you return, you can revert.

b) If you have some USA dvds with you and need access to both, grrr, I don't know how to get by the limit

3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

If you download a decrypter (DVD Decrypter or similar) you can transfer the movie to your harddrive via the brute-force cracking method which allows you to keep the RPC set to one parameter. You can then watch the movie from harddrive- copyright permitting, of course!

Depending on what optical drive you have you may be able to reflash the firmware to a drive that is RPC free OR take the chance on a modded firmware. If you are keen then re-post your drive model (and firmware revision if possible).

4. yangly18

yangly18 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 217

thanks, ill check out my drive model and firmware version when i get out of work and repost here.

5. vectorsigma32

vectorsigma32 TS Rookie Posts: 154

just buy and download region free software i have it it allways work for me

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.