Registry cleaning software

DLambie

What is the best registery cleaning software and/or suite with with software that's good for maintaining the quality of how your computer run - such had regitery cleaner and defrag.

Thanks in advance,
David Lambie

You don't really need to worry about registry cleaners, they often cause more problems than they fix. Modern operating systems (W7 in particular) Don't really need to have their registry's cleaned.

However if you must use one, try CCleaner by Piriform: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
I have also used their defrag tool quite a bit, Defraggler: http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Ccleaner offers a registry backup utility before cleaning. As always, I highly recommend doing this, and making sure you have proper backups in order just in case anything goes awry.

Hope this helps :)

I generally don't mess with the registry as I've encountered problems doing that in the past. I have, however, used CCleaner at times. The software allows you to create a backup of the registry entries that it sees as obsolete prior to removal. That way -- if things do go wrong -- you can restore whatever entries you deleted with a click of the mouse.

Still, I feel I should warn you that there are some rather serious risks to using such software, so use them with a good measure of caution.:)

PS: Didn't see Norbur's post while I was writing mine. So that's two cautious recommendations for ccleaner. :)

I agree with Norbur and Dawn1113.
Based from my own experience, cleaning registry could give you unpredictable result (maybe worse), and make you harder to scan/removing malware and virus..
In my humble opinion, the stronger registry cleaner that means the more deep that program will looking/search the registry that could harm your system when cleaned..
To maintain your system, just defrag your harddisk once in a while and clean your temporary files regularly..
piriform ccleaner is a good program to delete/clean your temporary files, and piriform defraggler also a good program to defrag..

I'll make that 4, along with IObit's Toolbox (free version, paid is far more useful).
Defraggler is useful, but not as thorough as MyDefrag or Auslogics Disk Defrag. But enough to keep it alive.
So,
1) IObit Registry Cleaner 2) CCleaner
1) MyDefrag 2) Auslogics Disk Defrag 3) Defraggler

In that order of preference.

I'll make that 5. In my 10 some years online, I've had to use ccleaner once & that was with professional guidance here in TS.
Other than that, the first time I used one,that pc got to be my first door stop.
As for a defraggler? I understand Vista & W7 don't need one. I have XP & although the built in one is ok, I use http://www.mydefrag.com/ I wish you well.(y)& Happy 4th.

What a strange thing to say! The built-in defragment tool is as pathetic as usual, IMHO. So aftermarket solutions are generally needed.
I'm not arguing, I'm just saying what I've read elsewhere. I've heard they defrag themselves as needed.

I'm not arguing, I'm just saying what I've read elsewhere. I've heard they defrag themselves as needed.
Nah, bro, I'm not saying you're arguing, just that it sounded very irrational to me.
That's BS, IMHO. No offense intended. :)

I suppose you are probably referring to ext4's fragmentation resistance by linear block allocation on Linux (and Linux only). But that is just resistance - it is neither fragmentation-proof, nor auto-defragging.

Nah, bro, I'm not saying you're arguing, just that it sounded very irrational to me.

I suppose you are probably referring to ext4's fragmentation resistance by linear block allocation on Linux (and Linux only). But that is just resistance - it is neither fragmentation-proof, nor auto-defragging.

I know nothing about linux or any other OS. I'm not going to mention where or who, but other (NOT in this forum) forums have PREACHED that W7 does NOT need a defragger. Thanks for the correction.(y)

No registry cleaner is fully safe.

Don't mess with the registry unless you have a specific problem.

I remember messing up my system using CCleaner's registry cleaning option.

I have been using the registry cleaner that comes with Tuneup Utilities (I prefer the 2008 version). Along with using a file wiper instead of just the recycle bin, and defrag a few times a year, I no longer get the slow downs I used to get every six months with XP that would cause me to do a fresh install. In ten years of using Tuneup Utilities to clean the registry, it has never messed me up. If you search "mydigitallife" and on their page search "Tuneup Utilities" and look for the free 2008 version, it's older but adequate. By the way, I do turn off its 1-Click Maintenance because I do not like apps doing stuff I'm not aware or in control of.

I used C# code to set the proxy for ie9 and chrome.now manual changes are not getting reflected.Does any1 know what exact changes do I need to do in registry?Is there any software which can help me in solving this problem??

My advice..never mess up with registry through code..:D

I have been using the registry cleaner that comes with Tuneup Utilities (I prefer the 2008 version). Along with using a file wiper instead of just the recycle bin, and defrag a few times a year, I no longer get the slow downs I used to get every six months with XP that would cause me to do a fresh install. In ten years of using Tuneup Utilities to clean the registry, it has never messed me up. If you search "mydigitallife" and on their page search "Tuneup Utilities" and look for the free 2008 version, it's older but adequate. By the way, I do turn off its 1-Click Maintenance because I do not like apps doing stuff I'm not aware or in control of.
Gosh, I've been using XP MCE/Home & Pro for quite some time now & although I've never used ANY registry cleaner WITH OUT professional help, ccleaner is the ONLY product I'll use & I've done it once. I think I've defragged maybe 2 times in the past 4 years & that wasn't because it was slow, I just did it to try out http://www.mydefrag.com/
a nice program.
Of course it does depend on what the user is doing with the pc,too.

IMHO any piece of software that makes changes to your system should be view viewed with a certain amount of risk.
We should evaluate weather to use such software upon weather the problem is greater than the risk.

From what I understand about the "Registry" it is no more than a Database which contain entries, over time
and with use some entries become obsolete or "Orphaned" the Processing cycles must be used to "Read" these "Orphaned"
entries therefore taking longer and wasting time, processor cycles, system resources.

Deleting these entries and in theory speeding up your system is the main idea.
From a psychological viewpoint a user might feel like they have accomplished somthing but in reality the benefits are
small.

From the developers viewpoint, I dont think the company would produce and market software if it is going to give them a
bad reputation, I.e screw up a users system. They ultimately want to sell us their products.

People who have had issues in all probability had major issues before they used the software anyway.

One last thing, I think that the amount of Junk software on peoples system is the main cause of probems not
using maintenance software, when ever someone asks me "Can you yave a look at my computer", as soon as I see the bottom right hand corner of the task bar crowded with resource hogging icons and when I open internet explorer and the entire top third of the screen is made up of every Tom, Richard and Harry's "Tool Bar" then I know what software I will be using to clean things up and unistall as much crap as possible.

:)

Hi all, Windows 7 registry does not generally need defragmenting, but the program data can be defragmented every few weeks.
Useful programs are Auslogics disk defrag/optimise, also Defraggler, Smart defrag, and Ultradefrag.
The Windows 7 defragmenter was improved greatly over the earlier versions, and does a good job, if a bit slow.
It is a good idea to use one of the programs and stick with it, because the best effect is only noticed after several 'scans' with the same one.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Wonder why [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]Mark Russinovich [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]hasn't creatd a registry cleaner (other than RegDelNull).[/FONT]

Many of us stopped recommending a registry cleaner a long time ago. The risk of using a registry cleaner is far greater than any small benefit you might get.

Defragging is NOT cleaning the registry- it's putting the file 'pieces' back in place. The Windows OS has a defragger, but you can use 3rd party one if wanted. The Windows OS is a bit on the 'messy' side and defragging helps that. The frequency depends on the usage.

As for thinking cleaning the registry is the way to speed up the computer, it's not. The best way to do that is to control what starts on boot and good maintenance.

Back