Registry is Disabled by Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hangman

Hello all,

I have a bit of a problem I'm hop'n you can help me with. I'm kind of stuck.

A long time ago, there was a thread that had this same problem. I found the thread and found a way to fix my problem, but I have run into another problem. So, I will explain the sitiation and hope someone has a solution for me. ;)

Windows XP Pro. My Machine, and I am the admin. My registry has been edited (by a nasty VB script) so that I, the admin, cannot edit my own registry. What's worse, I cannot install any software (Anti-virus, games, CAD, ... what have you) because the registry has been edited to be locked.

The string to this fiasco is:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000001

with the dword:00000001 = locked and 00000000 = unlocked.

Ok, so, I've found a tip saying that I could edit a notepad document, put this string in it with the dword:00000000 and save the document as a .reg file. Then, double click on this .reg file and it would merge into the registry and unlock my registry so I, the admin could edit it.

Now comes my problem. When I double click on the file, it asks which program I would like to open this file with.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make this work ??? Or, does anyone have another Idea on how I can get back into my registry ???

Thanks to all in advance.

Yes, I have the REGEDIT4 as the first line.

Someone please verify something for me,
Open the Explorer, (not IE) go to the Tools pulldown menu.
Go to the Folder Options and scroll down the list of extensions til you get to the REG. It should be listed as Registry Editor if I'm not mistaken.

If so, someone answer this question;
If the registry editor is what is used to run the .REG files, and the registry is locked so the admin can't access the registry, then how can a file that I create, going to edit the registry using the exact same program I am initially trying to use to edit the registry.
Another words, how can a .REG file going to manipulate the registry if it can't get in ???

So this brings me to another question, does anyone know of a way to go into the .DAT file (the registry if I'm not mistaken) thru DOS or some generic method to manually edit the registry ???

This shows how "secure" Windows is...

Open Command Prompt.

Type

reg delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools

Answer y.

Done.

Edit: That's supposed to be one line but vBulletin seems to split it.

Command line for Windows 2000 / NT instead

The solution works for XP. How about when registry has been disabled for Windows 2000 / NT?

uum... i normally suggest using gpedit.msc [group policy editor]
it's a component of mmc [management console].
so go to "Start>Run" and type "gpedit.msc"
you have access to many feature under "User Configuration"
Hangman said:
Open the Explorer, (not IE) go to the Tools pulldown menu.
Go to the Folder Options and scroll down the list of extensions til you get to the REG. It should be listed as Registry Editor if I'm not mistaken.

If so, someone answer this question;
If the registry editor is what is used to run the .REG files, and the registry is locked so the admin can't access the registry, then how can a file that I create, going to edit the registry using the exact same program I am initially trying to use to edit the registry.
Another words, how can a .REG file going to manipulate the registry if it can't get in ???
for this...
either re-enable the registry if you can or
since the regedit is disabled but others registry editors are not. LIKE:
Vilma Registry Explorer
RegWorks
RegEditX
just download any one and access and modify the registry.

Hello Hangman

Click here
and do a scan. Report back with any problems foundt.

Note: Must be using IE 6 or higher.

Also go to start/run and type in sfc /scannow.

Note: Make sure you have you windows xp disk handy.

And have you tried Hijackthis? Click here.

And follow Howards guide HERE

Regards Jase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back