registry problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

little evil

I have a widows 2000 nt. For some reason, when it starts up, I get a message telling me it can't load my user profile. It has to use the default profile. Also, my explorer keeps going to the internet wizard but the wizard says it can't find the modem. My interal modem is not there. I use a external modem. Howard from Techspot has been trying to help me. But we can't find any virus, malware, spyware, nothing like that. He's at a lost and so, am I. He suggested posting here. Also, when I get the message, it says that a program is trying to place a file in the regisrty that doesn't belong there. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Little evil

Try: My Computer/Control Panel/User Settings
Create a new profile to whatever you want. Then browse to the profile that will not load: C:/documents and settings/profile, here you need to copy all of the folders in it and paste it into the new profile. So DONT copy ntuser.txt or ntuser.dat.

Now go into User Accounts and delete the old profile.(if it is in there, if not delte from C:/documents and settings)

If you want to change the name to the new profile you can do that in the User Accounts.

That should fix your profile problem. As far as the modem is concerned i have some questions. It does not see the modem at all in windows, not in device manager or anything. Have you made sure the modem is in the expansion slot snug and not damaged? Does the light on the back of the modem turn on when you turn your computer on?

In your ISP Dialer in one of the tabs will say the modem name at the top. Does it says it has been uninstalled?

Also what is your modem and did this happen with a fresh install of windows or just suddenly?

Something you should try prior to answers all my questions is:
Turn off your computer, take the modem out. Boot into windows, shut back down. Put the modem back in a different slot.

I know it sounds dumb but its worked for me before. Computers can be very weird like that.

does the modem show up in device manager? if so, when you click properties and query the modem, does it come back with a list of commands and codes? or can it not find the modem? if your modem shows up in the device manager, but has a yellow exclamation mark, you have to install the driver for the modem.

windows 2000 nt

Now it's doing something totally different. This is an old install. When I turn it on, It will go to starting Windows. It flashes a blue screen with words on it, but the screen goes by so fast that I'm not sure what it says. Then it shuts it's self off. Starts it's self up and keeps going throught this cycle until I manunally shut it off.

Little Evil

Start it in safemode then open control panel /system/advanced/startup and recovery uncheck "automatically restart" after that u see whats that blue srceen says

I think that a trojan or a malicous file was sent that is fooling my compuer into thinking that the memory is full when it's not. It won't load anything.

Thanks,
little evil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back