Registry won't load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Vader

A while ago I ran CCleaner's registry tool, fixed all the selected items. Now I'm having registry problems and when I go to the back up regs' it says "error accessing registry".

Is there a way to fix this?

Use Windows Vista's System Restore to restore your computer back to a previous state (before CCleaner did its thing). This will restore your registry and leave your personal files and most application settings intact.

If you learn anything from this experience, it is that registry scanners are bad. I really like CCleaner and I think Piriform makes good software, but friends don't let friends use registry scanners.

haha. Thanks for the advice, I forgot to say that I was on my girlfriend's laptop which runs XP, and we had System Restore turned off until the 3rd for some reason...

Any other fix? =X

You might want to try running the new version of the free Recuva...

Otherwise, you are probably going to need to do a clean install to make yourself look like a Hero to your sweet young friend... Once the Registry is screwed up, it is damned near impossible to fix... Remember that if all components of the registry were printed out, it could be as much as 600 pages... way too many things to fix, without breaking something else important.

There are NO quick fixes for a registry problem. Unless you used a version that has a restore section that saves the old removed lines.

Remember that if all components of the registry were printed out, it could be as much as 600 pages...

I'd like to take this moment to spotlight some misinformation in this thread. In the future, please don't make up random numbers and post them as 'did you know?' facts. :)

Windows XP Registry: Over 15,000 pages
Windows 7 Registry: Over 90,000 pages

winxpregpages.jpg

win7regpages.jpg

that's an example only serving to illustrate the futility of that approach -- it's not
a technical issue and the inaccuracy is meaningless.

let's fight the battles that need fighting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back